• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't position illustrator shape precisely.

Participant ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am trying to position a shape precisely at position zero on the canvas. I enter "0" in the x-position field, and Illustrator jumps it to -.5 pixel location. It won't even let me manually position it at zero - jumps it to + or - .5 pixel point. Don't believe this is a "snapping" issue. It feels like the doc. has it's own grid that isn't necessarily alligned to the ruler readings, and the doc is alligning objects to the nearest pixel point.

I need to be able to position items precisely to the last pixel. How can I make this happen? Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Check, if the Align to pixel grid setting is on. See transform panel and manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check, if the Align to pixel grid setting is on. See transform panel and manual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it. Thank you! Not sure how to sync ruler with pixel grid so positioning works more seemlessly, but I will check the manual if that's what you are suggesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be better off with aligning strokes on the outside or inside. It might get complicated trying to adjust the ruler to the pixel grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't that I couldn't calculate or account for the stroke. Illustrator simply wouldn't let me place the object where I knew I wanted to. Obviously, I have to be able to use my x and y data field to precisely position my objects sometimes. Seems like those fields are based on the ruler and NOT the pixel grid. Guess I'll just leave pixel grid align off at all times. And, yes, then I will always position strokes outside or inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: the pixel grid is only important when designing for the screen. So maybe you don't need it anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I design for the screen quite a bit. I've just read a bit about the pixel grid and how critical it is in getting sharp edges. Now what I can't find is how one syncs the ruler to this grid. Because if the ruler and the grid aren't synced up, then you have to choose one or the other (exact positioning or sharp edges). There must be a way to sync these two necessities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not reposition the pixel grid, but you can adjust the ruler by moving the crosshair-symbol in the upper left of the window (where the two rulers meet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For objects that were already created, turning the "align new objects to pixel grid" setting off doesn't resolve the issue. For folks like me who were frustrated that they'd already turned it off and it wasn't fixed, make sure the WHOLE transform panel is visible, select the offending item and then uncheck "Align object to pixel grid"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In View turn of snap to pixel, this will do the magic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines