Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't save in Illustrator CS2

Nov 02, 2005 Nov 02, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Group,
I posted on the 25th Oct:-
"Have updated to CS2, everything fine except in Illustrator.

When saving work in the "Save as" or "Save a copy" I get "an unknown error
has occurred"

Even if I open work made prior to the upgrade from CS and then amend it, I
get the same "an unknown error has occurred", when I try to save it

I can save in other formats without problem, but I can't save my work in the
Illustrator format to return to later.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled without success.

Please has anyone else come across this, or can anybody advise a solution to
this problem?

Thanks in advance to all those that take the time to reply.

David "

Since then I have checked the Adobe forum for Illustrator and there appears
to be considerable traffic on this apparent "BUG" in illustrator, it also
seems to be hitting CS as well as CS2.

I find it amazing that Adobe can release software with problems such as
this. How can their credibility withstand issuing software that can't even
save in its own natural format.

It would appear that this bug was evident way back in March, yet here we are
still suffering in November, more that 8 months and still no word from
Adobe.

Any self respecting company would have pulled the offending software from
the shelves until they had a solution, yet Adobe seems not to have even
responded to the problem.

I'm sure there must be thousands of us out here that paid for this defective Adobe software and received a load of junk for their money.

If you feel as strongly as I do about it, how about a mass mailing to the
Adobe forums and let them know how you feel.They might eventually get the
message.

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 206 Replies 206
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2006 Apr 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I am having this same problem which is turning into a nightmare from a business perspective, We have created about 31 files which are all box designs, These files are quite large ranging from 15MB up to 200 MB, Everything works fine until I try to embed the linked Adobe Photoshop files in the illustrator artwork, they embed with no problems, when we try to save the file after embedding them, that is when we get the infamous ""an unknown error has occurred"

We have had our network engineers work on this and they have just about given up, they have been to every forum as well as dealing with Adobe and not one of the suggestions has worked.

This software is useless to us if we cannot get it to work properly and the time we are spending trying to troubleshoot this issue is costly to say the least.

Does anyone have any better ideas, other than the ones mentionned here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2006 Apr 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Don,

Are you able to reproduce the problem at will with the files?

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2006 Apr 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Shane,

Sorry I wasn't able to reply yesterday, but I was unable to access this webpage yesterday afternoon.

Our corporate network engineers been trying to solve this problem for 2 days now, As I mentionned, there is no problem working with the files, We are only getting the problems when we try to embed the linked photoshop files into the illustrator artwork before we send them off to a commercial printer. They embed OK but when we try to save the file we get the error message. We tried to "Save As", and ALL the other recommendations we have found here and on the other forums on the web where this has become a big issue.

This is mission critical for us as we have put months of work into developing this artwork and it would be quite costly for us to have to rebuild them in another application.

I have talked to other graphic designers in my city and they are all having the same problems and most have given up?

As far as recreating this problem at will; We have the original files and they still open with no problem, it is only when we try the embedding that we get this error.

We also get this error when trying to save the files in an eps format.

As you can imagine this is becoming quite frustrating.

Regards

Don Labelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Shane,

We have come up with a band-aid solution to our problem;

Our problem was when we tried to embed linked photoshop files which were established using the file/place command into the illustrator artwork we got the unknown error message.

What we did was to delete all the linked Photoshop files that were contained in the illustrator file, we then opened up the Photoshop files and then dragged the image into illustrator which instead of creating a link actually embedded the psd graphic. When we did it this way the illustartor file saved with no errors.

The only drawbacks to this method is that it is time consuming and the illustrator file will get quite large in the design phase, but the bottom line is that it worked.

This may not help you in solving the programming issues that are causing this problem but hopefully this will help any others who may be currently experiencing the same issues

Don Labelle
Multimedia Director
Eagle Compressors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, glad to see this topic here...maybe finally I got solution!

I am using CS. I also got the saving problem like everyone here. "An unknown error has occurred" when I tried to save my work as ai but it is ok if I saved the file as eps. The problems remains even I unchecked the "pdf compatible" option.

Actually, before this problem appear, I got some export problem when I export my work to jpeg...."not enough memory". Besides,I got the the problem with saving, the error is because "the file is read-only". I got 10 files in total for the same project as I have to save as a new file every modification.

And now, come to the worst, cannot save as ai.

Please help.

Thanks

Kaffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2006 Apr 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kaffee,

Do you have linked .psd files in your .ai files?

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2006 Apr 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Shane,

Well, actually I have some projects that have linked psd file. But after I got the save problem with the message An unknown error occurred, I have tested to save the file with just text and the problem remains.

Thanks

Kaffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2006 Apr 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kaffee,

Did you delete the transparency flattner presets settings yet?

See linked below...

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332690.html

Shane
Adobe TS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2006 Apr 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem, newly installed CS2 and can not save files in PDF format. If a cure is found, please post.
Thanks
Lloyd Adams
Nova Biomedical

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2006 May 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Shane,

I have followed the instructions and tried the solution 1 and 3. For solution 1, I have tried but the illustrator didnt create a transparency flattner presets file and it didnt work for the save problem. And for solution 3, no change and the problem remains.

Thanks

kaffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2006 May 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kafee:

Were you able to rename the Transparency Flattener Presets file with Illustrator shut down? It is a hidden file and you have to turn on Show Hidden Files in Explorer to be able to see it. steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Just to let you know, the resolution stated in my previous posts does not work in every case, We have several other files that had the same setup. Adobe PSD Files linked to the Illustrator file. When we tried to embed these files in the manner stated in my previous posts, it actually crashed Windows XP. When we got the system going again and tried to reopen the Illustrator file they would not open, instead We got the offending character error message and the file is now corrupt.

I hope that Adobe kicks out a patch for this soon, in the mean time we have decided to unistall the new versions and go back to the old version 10.

If anyone else may have an alternate solution, please post it.

Thanks

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

same problem here, can't save in pdf.

- just create new file in Illustrator CS2
- put only one text in with Type tool ( Myriad font )
- "Save as" in AI or PDF file --> ERROR
- reload Illustrator
- create new file, put text in with Times New Roman font
- "Save as" --> file is saved but the error come later when i add new object like a line...

but this works with "Create PDF compatible file" option disabled.

have Windows XP Pro with SP2
( Illustrator is really compatible with SP2 ?? )

please help !
thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2006 May 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Stephen,

I have tried to change the name of the Transparency Flattener Presets file and then shut down the illustrator, but no file was created and yeah I have set my computer to show all the files even the hidden file.

Kaffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2006 May 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kaffee:

The reason I posted was because my interpretation of what you wrote was not the correct procedure. Also, in your post just above there is confusion.

You state "I have tried to change the name of the Transparency Flattener Presets file and then shut down the illustrator, but no file was created.." This is not the correct procedure. Change the name (e.g. to Transparency Flattener Presets Old) while illustrator is shut down. Illustrator recreates the file when you start it up again and then you will have two, the old one and a new one.

I don't know if this will help your problem, but you have to do it correctly to find out. steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2006 May 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your post. I have tried again with the procedure that I find in the previous post but the save problem still remains.

And suddenly I find another problem which i am not sure if it related to the Adobe Creative Suite. After I reinstalled the Creative Suite last week, my computer seems to turn slow when the computer start loading the Windows.

Kaffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2006 May 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to save my illustrattor documents into the .ai, .eps and any other formats but i have a problem for whenever am opening documents i had initialy saved i get the following error: "The embedded color profile in this document will be discarded, because your color settings are configured for Adobe Illustrator 6.0 Compatible color management.
Emebedded: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 "
And after that I cant save at all for i get the error as everyone else in this forum. I cant also see any of my fonts even the default ones i use neither can i find the Shell folder\file and Transparency Flattener Presets file.
What should i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2006 May 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support Knowledgebase 332690 seems to address this issue. The problem is if solution 1 doesn't work (it didn't for me) it just gives workarounds. Given the number of posts on this, what else can be done to resolve this? It's definately tied to fonts.... any font on my system. Can we have a "font" solution to go with the "transparency" solution already given? Thanks, Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2006 May 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this workaround to no avail. So far the only format I cannot save to is PDF. And even this is inconsistent; I have managed to save a handful of PDFs for no apparent reason, with all the conditions equal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2006 May 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support Document 332690 worked for me. I renamed the TransFlat setting file and everything is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2006 May 25, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having some of the same problems listed above. Working on large map files (up to 30"x40") in CS on XP machines.

We link our background .tif or .psd files during the production phase and generally have no problem saving. Upon embedding the files and saving as .pdf compatible files near the completion of projects we occasionally get the "unknown error" message which none of the above work-arounds seem to fix.

My question is whether Mac based machines running CS or CS2 are having the same issues? And is Adobe willing to look at our problem files and try to determine a cause/come up with a solution?

Thanks,

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2006 Jun 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing a similar issue - suing ILL CS2 and saving as PDF and PDF comes up blank. i thought it was because i was using a linked logo file someone else created. but suddenly i got one PDF to show the linked logo file but NOT the text box i had created...
i tried removing the settings folder. i rebooted. still can't save ai as pdf today. never any problems in the past 6 months though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer! I was using a blank envelope #10 template.
I drew onto the Guides layer.
The Guides layer is marked as non-printing.

Non-printing layers show in the Layers palette with the layer name in a BOLD ITALIC font. That layer is just there to show where the brochure should fold. You aren't meant to draw onto it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raffi,

>suing ILL CS2

So that will not be needed?

>I drew onto the Guides layer

For a moment I read it as I drew upon the Guides lawyer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob is paranoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines