Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Centring objects in the border of a circle

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

i want to ensure that the small geo icons (in red) are perfectly centred within the border  ring(the bit that also happens to have the text in it).

I cant figure how to do this as aligning to the circle obviously results in them being put middle of the circle rather than the middle of the border. 

They are probably pretty close to being centred in the border just from me doing by sight but they are not quite there. HelP!logo.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is a "one-ff" thing, I'd create a shape the width of the target space and align to the shape, then delete the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, just figured there was probably a more efficient/professional way of doing it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn on your rulers and drag guide lines to the center of your circle, selecting both small objects will show you the center point of the objects, snap this point to your guides.

Center circle.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled (Recovered).jpg Thanks but i am talking about centring the icons in the border (shown in green here)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Throw a circle between them to use as a guide, e.g. the inner circle is 2" the outer circle is 3", add a 2.5" circle using the same center point. Or... put an outside stroke on the inner circle until it fills the space, then expand the appearance to show the center.

Stroke outside- expand.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Molly,

You may, even without knowing the sizes of the circles, Smart Guides being your friends:

1) With the Line Tool ClickDrag between the leftmost Anchor Points of the two circles, repeat for the right side;

2) Select both lines and Object>Path>Add Anchor Points;

3) ClickDrag each geo icon by its centre to snap to the midpoint from 2);

4) Delete the two lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another way, as there can be several solutions with the same result.

-I usually draw a blue circle that is the exact width of the inner and outer circle space and align horizontally and vertically with the icon. Group the icon and blue circle.

-Next, I select both black circles and the blue circle icon group, and align everything to horizontal center. Then I take my blue circle and icon, and with snap to point turned on under the view menu, I will snap the left point in the blue circle shape to the outermost black circle. Then I will duplicate the blue circle and icon to the opposite side (snapping tthe right point of the blue circle to the far right of the black outer circle point). Finally, I select just the blue circles and delete them.

CENTERED.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Milomolly, you have several good answers. Please mark one as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines