• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing stroke color with eye dropper?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i change the stroke color of a shape using the eye dropper?  each time i try to do it, it fills the shape rather than changes just the stroke color.  i am trying to match the color from something other than a color that is what's on the color palette.

does that make sense??!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

As strange as this might sound this is what you have to do.

Double click the eyedropper tool in the tool bar, a dialog box will show up. In that dialog box uncheck Focal Fill on both sides. Make certain Strokes and its options for color etc are checked.

and click OK  now when you. Now you will only change the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

select the object you want to change, make the stroke active and Shift+click with the eyedropper on the color you want. The only problem is that you can't pick up patterns this way, only the exact color that you clicked on gets applied

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As strange as this might sound this is what you have to do.

Double click the eyedropper tool in the tool bar, a dialog box will show up. In that dialog box uncheck Focal Fill on both sides. Make certain Strokes and its options for color etc are checked.

and click OK  now when you. Now you will only change the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me. I'm new to this, so I don't get what it did, exactly, but it felt inconsistent. Before I did that, it would fill the center even though I'd select the stroke box and then the color, but after, it wouldn't even do that when I'd click on the fill box and pick the color I actually wanted in the center---instead it put a ? there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do is switch fill and strokes options (X shotchut), and then Shift+click which color you want to apply it will apply to the stroke only. Hope it Helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it work! ❤️ Btw should include select eyedropper tool before the word shift + click.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select the object you want to change, make the stroke active and Shift+click with the eyedropper on the color you want. The only problem is that you can't pick up patterns this way, only the exact color that you clicked on gets applied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno has this correct and I have the hard way of doing this I thought asmuch and trashing the preference I can do this myself.

Thanks Zeno.

You should mark Zeno's post as the answer.

There probably lots of people who should know where the answer is located when they do a search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2014 Jul 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Zeno has got it down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man your answer is really helpful even after 11 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so you mean there is a feature to pick up patterns? please tell me about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"so you mean there is a feature to pick up patterns? please tell me about it."

CHeck all in the eyedropper options and you can pick up patterns. Or what is it you want to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm imitating an image. there are some floral patterns in the image that i wish to pick up (like a stamp tool). i've started using illustrator just two weeks ago and so i have very less information about it. help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.jpg

 this floral pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't use the Eyedropper tool to pick up a pattern from a photograph or other raster (pixel) image. You can crop a portion of the image and create a pattern from it, or recreate it as vector art and make a pattern from that.

tromboniator_1-1589438309899.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still the correct answer in 2022? I keep trying this over and over and I can't figure out how to make my stroke match another color in any way at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what are you picking up a color? A placed image?

To what are you applying color?

Which document color mode is it?

Without any detailed information your question canot be answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot Zeno for making my life easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you're clicking the stroke path with your eyedropper. If you don't you will change the fill color of the object you have selected. I believe that is the answer to your question. It may also be helpful to check your eyedropper options, which you can access by double-clicking the eyedropper icon in the tools panel. Once you're there, see if the Appearance checkbox is selected on the upper, left-hand corner of the Eyedropper Options dialog box. I hope this information helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I had to was click shift this whole time?? I've been struggling with this issue for too long. Each time I would add the color to swatches and it was this whole thing, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't figure out how to do it the way Zeno proposed. So, I ended up just saving the color to my swatches and using it that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me either as of 02.2022. The last reply here that reported it working was from 2020, so maybe something has changed since?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine on Illustrator 26.0.3, Windows 10.

Are you ensuring that Stroke is active first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If by ”ensuring your Stroke is active first” you mean having the Stroke color picker window open, then yes. Picking the eyedropper however closes it, and even if I Shift-click the wanted color while having an object selected, it applies to the Fill only. I also tried adjusting the Eyedropper properties to exclude it from applying on Fill, but it still doesn’t work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean having the stroke active in the tools panel:

Screenshot 2022-02-24 112556.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines