• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Flicker in Illustrator

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing an issue in Illustrator where the colors on screen slightly flicker or shift in value. It is especially noticeable on bright, saturated color. It's a little difficult to explain but the video will show what I'm seeing. This is only happening in Illustrator and it doesn't happen all the time. The screen recording is from my Macbook Pro.

Could this be a hardware issue?

My setup:
2019 Macbook Pro
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Adobe Illustrator 25.1

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

This COULD (but shouldn't) be an issue with your graphics card. It's possible your GPU is creating the problem - although I have to imagine, it's within Adobe specifications. Please turn off the GPU functions at Preferences> Performance, and see if that resolves the issue. If so, maybe talk to Apple about this, as the GPU on that model should be sufficient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This COULD (but shouldn't) be an issue with your graphics card. It's possible your GPU is creating the problem - although I have to imagine, it's within Adobe specifications. Please turn off the GPU functions at Preferences> Performance, and see if that resolves the issue. If so, maybe talk to Apple about this, as the GPU on that model should be sufficient. 

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for shedding some light on this. It looks like the GPU setting is the culprit. However, the problem with the flicker only happens occasionaly. Basically turning off the GPU setting and then turning it back on seems to help stablize it. I'm going to see what Apple may have to say as well. I've also had GPU issues with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same problem, looks like this has not been solved yet (MacBook Air (M1, 2020)) turning off CPU in settings solved the matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have any response from Apple? I'm having the same issue and turning off GPU worked fine. However, AI is now sluggishly slow moving around artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven’t had contact with Apple about this - in my case turning the GPU toggle off and later on again fixed the issue temporary (still annoying, and I hope it will be fixed in coming updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, and I've resorted to "View using CPU" and then back to "View using GPU" from the View menu. I have a Mac Pro M1.

I don't think this is a GPU issue or a Mac issue, but rather an Adobe one since this doesn't happen anywhere else other than illustrator. I was assuming this was related to the M1 version of Illustrator, but I'm not sure anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a 2019 Mac Book Pro and having the same issues. It seems turning off the GPU functions have solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I'm on a 2018 MacBook Pro with a Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB GPU. I'm also experiencing a number of other really annoying GPU-related problems in both Illustrator and Photoshop. Turning off GPU computing fixes the problem but it also results in a huge loss in performance. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue, high value colors mostly. I thought my eyesight was going on me, rtipping me out. My wife confirmed I was not trippin or losing my eyesight.

2021 MBP M1 PRO AI 26.0.2, mac OS 12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone get a result with Apple or Adobe on this? Issue occurring for me too, 2020 MacBook Pro M1 but only when I'm using my Samsung Monitor (Model CJ791).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this? Is it supposed to be fixed? Had it happen today and the same suggestion fixed it, albeit temporarely only.

My setup is:
2021 M1 Max 16in
macOS Monterey 12.4

Adobe Illustrator 26.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on my 2021 Macbook Pro, M1 Max 32G. Certain colors will constantly flicker (orange will go from bold to muted tones) while working in Illustrator. Turning off GPU Performance in Illustrator settings seems to help. However, if I connect my laptop to my Studio Display, I never have this issue on the Studio Display screen. I wish Apple and Adobe could work together on this. 
macOS - Sonoma 14.0
Adobe Illustrator 27.9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with a brand new 2023 M2 Max. It's sporadic and turning GPU on and off stabilizes it for a while. I also still get the occasional GPU not working with animated zoom etc. I had this issue regularly with my old 2019 Pro but didn't expect it with and M2 max. A restart of Illustrator fixes that.

Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with a brand new 2023 M2 Max. It's sporadic and turning GPU on and off stabilizes it for a while. I also still get the occasional GPU not working with animated zoom etc. I had this issue regularly with my old 2019 Pro but didn't expect it with and M2 max. A restart of Illustrator fixes that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @scottr36574981,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind installing any pending OS/Illustrator updates (https://adobe.ly/3RT356o) (https://adobe.ly/3v1aJSW) and checking if it helps? Also, try manually resetting Illustrator's preferences and sharing your observations:

For macOS

• Close all Adobe applications.

• Go to the following locations

• ~/Library/Caches

• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

• ~/Library/Preferences

• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings.old

• Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

For Windows

- Close all Adobe applications.

- Go to Location C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

- Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator - 28 Settings.old

- Relaunch Illustrator from Creative Cloud

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3RNiRQ4), so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution? Just installed Illustrator of a new M2 Studio Max. Annoying!! If you press command or any key really it seems to flicker on and off even more hehe!  Don't think it's graphics issue as it's only in AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Gillott34593038gej1,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind trying the suggestions shared above and checking if it helps? 

If the problem persists, kindly share more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3RNiRQ4), so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still experience this in mars 2024,

Macbook Pro M1 Max 2021

macOS Monetery

Adobe Illustrator 28.0

Turning off GPU Performence from the Illustrator settings "solves" the flickering, but causes a slow and laggy experience so instead of flickering I experience lags. Not a solution.

Who's reponsible for fixing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2024 Mar 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the same hardware and system. No flickering.

Maybe you could contact Customer Care to check out what's wrong with your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - I have the fastest GPU offered by Apple - can you test your software with current hardware specs - this problem is around for a long time.

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2024 Mar 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@derekj98507233  schrieb:

Adobe clowns - I have the fastest GPU offered by Apple - can you test your software with current hardware specs - this problem is around for a long time.

You might want to contact Customer Care to figure this out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines