• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour Variation when using "Darken" transparency

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I getting a colour variation on screen when using the "Darken" mode in the transparency field.
See attached screenshot. 
The "Substrate" spot colour has the "Darken" applied which is layered on top of the colour wedges.
Should the colours of the wedges not display the same irrespective of whether "Overprint Preview" is on or off?
P.S.
I've tried the "Multiply" function as well but there is still a variation in colour albeit not as bad as the "Darken".

TOPICS
Draw and design , Print and publish , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose the underlying colors are a neutral grey? I cannot reproduce that, there is a slight variation with Overprint on and off, but not a color shift.

Can you share an example file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with Spot Colors one should stick, in my opinion, to managing Overprinting with »Overprint …« (in the Attributes Panel) instead of using Blend Modes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darken separates the spot in the same way as Overprint and has the advantage that pdf viewers that don't support Overprint (like Apple Preview and the preview in this forum) show the expected preview. Darken also gives a better result when the spot has to be converted to process colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Ton.

Your reasoning is correct.
As a Prepress house, our Pdf files we send out for approval are Press ready files, meaning that they are colour separated correctly. We have dozens of clients with different viewing software, thus creating the Preview dilemma you mentioned. We have found in the past that the "Darken" mode worked well for us up until recently when I encountered the colour variation as mentioned in my intial enquiry.
Find attached a sample illustrator file showing the difference between Overprint, Darken and Multiply with Spot colours.

P.S.
We avoid "Multiply" because it changes the values of the underlying colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear the reason for Darken mode.

Unfortunately I  see no sample file attached (.ai files don't work in this forum, sometimes pdf files do).

Links to Dropbox, WeTransfer, CC filesharing, Google are options

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton.

I've attached an illustrator Pdf now.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, it is indeed a preview problem.

The file separates fine and when Overprint preview is turned on the preview looks fine.

With Overprint Preview off the preview problem becomes visible.

It is not only Illustrator, in Acrobat the file looks fine when Overprint Preview is active but when it is turned off in the preferences, it has the same problem as Illustrator. So at least it is consistent.

It seems to be shared preview code between multiple Adobe applications (InDesign included).

I am not sure where to report this, the Acrobat Uservoice or Illustrator Uservoice, maybe both:

https://acrobat.uservoice.com

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Ton.
I'll progress this issue with the illustrator team now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, let us know where to vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.
Ton's scenario below is exactly why we have resorted to using the transparency functionality rather than Overprint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines