• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compatibility issues between different versions of Illustrator (23.0.3 windows & 23.0.4)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator versions on my Macbook and my desktop PC have been out of syc in versions for most of the year. Is this normal? It causes project compatibility issues between my two devices.

Will I be forever stuck monitoring versions and downgrading my Mac version to match my PC?

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specific exact versions of Illustrator on each system, and what is the exact operating system version on each, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you share what versions of OS & Illustrator you are running, we cannot assist you much. For all we know you are running Illustrator 6 on Mac Mojave.  Please ensure you are following the

Adobe Illustrator system requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both are cc and are auto updated. Both say 23.03 (for now)

Current Mac OS, current Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No this is nto normal, CC2019 and current OS as of this date on both platforms should not cause any issues. I woudl prefer High Sierra over Mojave, as their are some Mojave issues, the worse ones are in Photohsop though.

Known issues - Running Illustrator CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

We have no idea what exact issues you are facing, If you are having difficulty putting your post in words, try screenshots, they often are worth 1000 words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not normal - both Mac and Windows receive updates at the same release date and should be synched to match.

The issue could be that even with auto update turned on - it really depends on the last time you used either machine and if an update was run on one while the other was not active.

It doesn't take much to hit the upgrade button to force a manual update using the CC app.

There definitely is no reason to downgrade your Mac OS version to your Windows. Easier to upgrade your windows version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m glad to hear that. But, still, my Windows machine was showing current

with no update for many weeks as 23.02 even after forcing update checks. At

the same time my Mac was on 23.03.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 10:50 AM kstohlmeyer1 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes only one system gets one of those point updates.

The current versions as of now are: Illustrator 2019 release notes (23.0.3 Windows and 23.0.4 macOS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But point updates shouldn't effect opening files between Windows and Mac - only major annual releases (unless otherwise noted).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kstohlmeyer1  schrieb

But point updates shouldn't effect opening files between Windows and Mac -

It would be useful to read some details about those "compatibility issues"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. To answer your first question

LiteVolition  wrote

"Will I be forever stuck monitoring versions and downgrading my Mac version to match my PC?"

You do not need to match the version to each other. Just make sure that you are on the latest available version (For example, 23.04 for MAC and 23.0.3 for Windows) and you are handing off files via packaged folders (Package files in Illustrator ). There should not be any compatibility issues while working on the files on any of these versions. It's just that we found few issues on MAC which were fixed in 23.0.4 release, however, the base version (23.0.0) and features are the same for each of them.

In case you are facing any issue while working on files in these two versions, do let us know. We will try to help you out.

In addition to the suggestions shared above, if you need to set your system on auto-updates, here is how you can do that: Update apps to the latest release of Adobe Creative Cloud.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to let us know exactly what  incompatibility you are experiencing.

For example can you not open a mac file on windows, because you did not include .ai as the file extension? You have not given us any symptom to be able to assist you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images and description provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images of my issue attached.

File is being opened on a Windows 10 desktop.

File was created on my Macbook over a month ago.

When this happens, text boxes are often obliterated and each word of text becomes an individual vector element... Totally nuts.

IMG_0658.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have two versions of Illustrator installed. Which is open in that screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great eye! I never even noticed that. How would that have happened? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can choose not to remove old versions when you install a new one in the CC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LiteVolition  schrieb

Images of my issue attached.

File is being opened on a Windows 10 desktop.

File was created on my Macbook over a month ago.

When this happens, text boxes are often obliterated and each word of text becomes an individual vector element... Totally nuts.

IMG_0658.JPG

Are you sure about the versions installed?

Do you have multiple versions installed?

Are you perhaps on the Prerelease?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on any .ai file, and choose properties. Then choose the latest version of AI  to open all .ai files with. Is very similar on mac.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 9.05.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure you click "Change All" below that window before you close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines