• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

converting cartoon characters to vector (getting straight lines)

Enthusiast ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im fairly new to illustrator,  im trying to convert some cartoon characters that i drew (in clip studio paint)

into vector format for animation in after effects. but when i image trace it, the lines come out kinda wobbly, with too many vertices

the original drawings had a line that was same thickness all around , so that it would be smooth and that they would animate well

is there any tool that can make this process quick and painless in illustrator?  

in clip studio you have a "simplify line" tool that you can just pass over the line at whatever chosen strength, and it will remove unnecessary vertices and the line will become a lot straighter.  is there any equivalent to this in illustrator?  or a setting that i can get it to recognise that there is a black line there, and it needs to make it straight as possible.Policeman Body test.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

You can try the pencil tool in Illustrator if you want to draw freehand strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

If you can create good vector lines in CSP, you could try Live Paint in Illustrator for the fills.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/live-paint-groups.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have an easier time redrawing this in Illustrator than getting a usable file for animation from an image trace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually when i choose the "black and white logo" option in image trace, it gives decent enough black lines, problem is you lose all the color, creating another job to do....  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what your two images are showing - they look pretty good if one is pixel and the other the vector image trace to me! Also, what rez does "clip studio paint" export at? (Also, as it has the word clip in it, doesn't it do vector too?).

Anyway, in Image Trace you've got to play with the Advance settings. Use an image that is less complicated to find the sweet spot (so that the refresh on preview is less on each adjustment) and make a note of the settings, then apply to the others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, you changed the images - I still think that looks pretty good!

Also, seeing as you are "drawing" these in your other app, why not just draw them in Illy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well,  i have no experience drawing in illy,  so im not sure if i can work the same way...with the same fluidity etc.  in CSP you just draw as you would with physical pen and ink !  its recorded in vertices so you can pass over it and make small corrections and your done.  i dont know if this is even possible in ai

i dont see a lot of art like this, with black outlines done in illy, which indicates to me that it might not be even possible, or might not be so easy to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the pencil tool in Illustrator if you want to draw freehand strokes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, CSP does vector lines, but not vector solids. that is how i was able to get clean lines in the drawings.

im doing most of the animation in after effects because its a more practical linking it in with premiere, photoshop, illustrator etc..

in the image above its hard to see the difference, but the vector on the right has more wobbly lines, varying in thickness... whereas the original drawing has lines of consistent thickness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can create good vector lines in CSP, you could try Live Paint in Illustrator for the fills.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/live-paint-groups.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines