Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting CMYK to RGB preserving colors in Adobe Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

After a long chat with assistance I've been redirected here since they had no idea.

I'm trying to convert an .ai file from CMYK to RGB preserving the colors. I am after vectors files in RGB. I have been able to export PNGs in RGB that are prefectly matching with the colors in the CMYK one, confirming that I am working in the gamut, this conversion is possible but I can't see a way to make it heppen in Illustrator.

The only way I can see is to go File > Document Color Mode and change to CMYK to RGB. By doing this the colors change radically. I have seen that there are very small options for the conversion under Edit > Color Settings > Conversion Options; I did play a bit with these parameters but nothing that really matches the original colors.

It strikes me because it should be such a simple thing.

I have attached the files: the first one is how the CMYK document looks like and how the PNG comes out, the second one is how Illustrator changes colour mode from CMYK to RGB.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Untagged CMYK is the problem. Go to Edit > Assign Profile... and assign the profile you think it should have.

Is there a reason you use Apple CMM for conversions in Adobe applications?

Why Absolute Colorimetric? Perceptual or Relative Colorimetric would probably give better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please embed the images in your post, so we can see them side by side.

Please tell us the exact color settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pictures are embedded, for some reason they don't show as previews but as attachments. For convenience I'll attach them into this reply as well. 

RGB: iceRGB v2

CMYK: ISO Coated 300 v2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just relised that I was attaching the files and not posting the pictures. 

RGB: eciRGB v2

CMYK: ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)

Pro Omni Colour CMYK - Sample.png

How it looks in CMYK and properly exported in RGB.

Pro Omni Colour RGB - Sample.png

How it crunches the colours when changing the colour mode to RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How/where are you making the png files - out of Photoshop? If so your color management is not set up universally, go to Bridge and choose the same profile you are using in Photoshop - assuming that is the one that is converting better for you.

If this still fails, just build your doc in Illy in rgb using the starting points from your png file(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show your Edit > Color Settings...  and the document color profile of your CMYK document?

For the document color profile see the option at the bottom of your window:

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 09.28.29.png

It says "untegged CMYK".

Why is that? I thought I have already assigned the CMYK profile in colour management. 

Screenshot 2021-12-07 at 09.27.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untagged CMYK is the problem. Go to Edit > Assign Profile... and assign the profile you think it should have.

Why Absolute Colorimetric? Perceptual or Relative Colorimetric would probably give better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is it. I wasn't working with the right colour profile instead only diplaying it.

No, you're right, this is just a leftover from a few tests I've done, I was trying to see if the problem was sitting with these parameters.

Thank you, this has been very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have the exact same problem where my cmyk file png export result have good color, but when i convert it to rgb in the app the color change the was drastic. I tried following your way but i cant seem to open document color profile, btw i use windows so please help T-T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please show examples and your color settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines