• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copied objects won't paste into new layers

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with many elements, I am trying to copy some objects and paste into new layers to create slightly different designs for presentation. I copy the objects, create and name a new layer then 'paste in place' and have tried 'paste' and the item pastes back into the original layer. I have selected the new layer, I have locked the source layer and tried pasting, I have hidden the source layer and it still won't paste into the new layer, this has only recently started happening. I have been using Illustrator for over 20 years and am not a novice. I have tried everything I can think of but cannot create multiple layered artwork / designs. I can create new graphics in the new layers but just can't paste to them.

Has anyone experienced this before? I am using CS6 16.0.4 installed from disks on a late 2013 27" iMac intel core i5 OS X Yosemite 10.10.3.

Many thanks in advance

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

David,

Is Paste Remembers Layers unticked in the Layers palette flyout/dropdown (it should be for this)?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Jamie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone share a screenshot? I cannot find the box in Layers palette. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that solved the problem - or rather showed my ignorance!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even in 2022 this thread is helping!  Much appreciated!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a video to help with this question because I was wondering the same thing after downloading the new version of illustrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwWGIIA-jgs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines