Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy from Illustrator CC and Paste to Powerpoint issues

Contributor ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How do you copy and paste a graphic from Illustrator CC to Powerpoint?

I know that sounds easy, and it should be...I used to be able to do this the standard way (ctrl+c in Illustrator, ctrl+v in Powerpoint), however now the result is just a load of code inside Powerpoint and no image. Any ideas? (other than exporting as pngs etc.)

I'm on the latest version Illustrator CC, Powerpoint 2011 for Mac, Mac OS 10.9.1

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

In Preferences > File handling uncheck "Include SVG options"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences > File handling uncheck "Include SVG options"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika - you fantastic fantasitc person!!! thank you so much for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was always able to copy and paste from Illustrator to PowerPoint without a problem.
Then I received a file from a client and wasn't anymore. I copied their illustrations to one of my Illustrator files, copied from there and then was able to paste into PowerPoint. No idea what the problem is with my client's file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol! this made me chuckle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2014 Apr 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem except I don't see "Include SVG options" in my preferences>File handling section. I'm running Illustrator CC 17.0.2. Did this get taken out in an update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jscott,

I was confused by this too. Couldn't find the preference option. And then I realized Monika is talking about setting is in Illustrator, not Powerpoint.

Once I unchecked "include svg code" in Illustrator, file handling preference, this fixed the problem.

-Suzy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have unchecked that option but am still not able to edit the graphic properly (change colour of icon not background) in powerpoint after paste special (EMF).  Is there a patch to enable this (as per previous CS5 patch)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us some details of what exactly you're doing. And the version you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I persevered and have figured out what to do.

I create a lot of icon type drawings in Illustrator CC (paths converted to outlines on transparent background) which I want to use in PowerPoint 2010 and be able to change the fill colour of the icon in ppt. I unchecked the preferences>File handling & clipboard>Include SVG code checkbox in Illustrator but copy / paste special > as EMF did not result in editable graphic in ppt so then I exported to .EMF, Inserted EMF file in PowerPoint, Ungrouped and deleted the background. That worked.

Kind regards

Marie-Noëlle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm new to the EMF into PPT method. I had been exporting as PNGs from Illustrator and importing them into PPT.

I'm exporting art out in EMF format from Illustrator, but when I insert it into PPT (Insert > Picture > Picture from File), I'm unable to Ungroup it. It's behaving as if it's pixel-based image. Is there a different way to Insert an EMF file that I'm not aware from?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround for this problem was to move from my MacBookPro to an HP laptop running Windows 8 to complete this project.

Because I'm using Adobe CC, I was able to install Illustrator on the Windows laptop. So I open my AI file on the HP, then copy the contents I want to bring into PowerPoint. Then in PowerPoint, I use the Paste Special option (first section in the Home ribbon), then choose Enhanced Metafile (Format). Once the graphic is pasted in, I then Ungroup it to convert it to an editable Microsoft Office drawing object.

You can also right-click and paste picture into PowerPoint, then Ungroup it to get an editable drawing object.

So the short answer is that (as far as I know), this has to be done on a Windows system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how did you "insert" into PPT? Please be specific as I am desperate! thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, there is only one way—on a Mac without Office for Windows—to get vector shapes into PPT as editable Powerpoint shapes:

1. Save from Illustrator as SVG.

2. Download and install OpenOffice for Mac (Apache OpenOffice - Official Download)

3. Create a new presentation in OpenOffice.

4. Insert a picture and choose the SVG file.

5. Select the inserted graphic, right-click, and choose "Break."

6. Save that document as a .ppt file.

7. Open the .ppt file in PowerPoint.

Yes, it's tedious—and insane that this is the only way on a Mac—but after doing it many times, it doesn't take me longer than a minute.

A tip: using this method, PPT will see every path as its own object. If your vector art has lots of separate paths, consider grouping into compound paths before saving as SVG. A compound path stays that way in the end result in PPT and will be more foolproof if others try to edit the graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great solution!!! A client asked for a very complicated concept to be illustrated on a PowerPoint slide that they will need to edit on their end. Was tearing my hair on on a way to import the base art from Illustrator so I wouldn't be stuck with PowerPoint's crude drawing tools. This client may be moving exclusively to Google Slide, which has even WORSE drawing capabilities. So I see this coming in handy in the future. The small amount of time for that extra step is totally worth it. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marie,

You did a step-by-step guide how to put emf files from illustrator to PP so you can edit the colour in PP. I tried your steps but aren't able to ungroup the illustration.

I switched of svg, exported the vector as an .emg and imported it but can ungroup and it does show up as a non editable image.

My illustrator is Adobe CC and my PP is Mac version 16.13.1

I wonder if you could help, if I do something wrong.  I've tried it on a PC and that is no problem, but it doesn't work on a Mac.

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ilonat82225751  schrieb

Hi Marie,

You did a step-by-step guide how to put emf files from illustrator to PP so you can edit the colour in PP. I tried your steps but aren't able to ungroup the illustration.

I switched of svg, exported the vector as an .emg and imported it but can ungroup and it does show up as a non editable image.

My illustrator is Adobe CC and my PP is Mac version 16.13.1

I wonder if you could help, if I do something wrong.  I've tried it on a PC and that is no problem, but it doesn't work on a Mac.

Many thanks

PowerPoint/Mac and PowerPoint/Windows are bascially two completely different applications. They don't share all the functions and the functions fon't work the same way.

Just a few days ago someone shared this: How to convert Illustrator to PowerPoint and Keynote, Illustrator converter

Might be your only chance.

You might of course try if Open Office does better jobs with SVG files.

Is your Office the very latest version? Edit SVG images in Microsoft Office 2016 - Office Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is really annoying that they don't converse with each other.

I've downloaded open office and pasted into there and then saved it as a

PP. That did the trick.

Quite too many steps for something which should be so simple.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Monika Gause <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the feedback. It will help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are a godsend! thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SVG setting doesn't seem to help either way with Illustrator CC (currently 18.1.1). Exporting to .emf has been the only thing that's worked for me. It would be really nice to be able to copy-paste with Powerpoint in both directions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Finally a concise, relevant answer to a question that really works! Made my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to use illustrator's (cc2017) gradient shape in powerpoint 2016.

I tried both way direct copy-paste (unchecked svg option) and export emf. But it is non-editable in Powerpoint,It works as png image, even after ungroup transparent part fills with white background.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you changed my life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines