Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/paste appearance function not working

New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to copy/paste a simple drop shadow effect from one shape to another.

When I select the effect in the Appearance panel and begin to drag-drop a hand icon displays, when I move the hand icon to the artboard the icon changes to the 'Clear Appearance' circle with a line stopping me from pasting the effect to the new shape.

Does anyone know where I'm going wrong? Any help would be appreciated as this function would be super helpful if I can get it to work.

Screengrabs show what's happening.

All the best

Rob

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

The hand icon in appearance plaette, is to drag appearance items around within the same object. To copy and paste to another object doubeclick the eyedropper tool and check

MikeGondek_0-1652277615450.png

Unfortunately, you cannot just pick up the drop shadow effect. You will need to change back any other items such as fill color. 

If you recently created the drop show, you can go to

Effect >> Apply Drop Shadow, as it remembers the last effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly what are you trying to drop exactly where?

In order to just apply the drop shadow without changing the fill color:

Make a path with no fill/no stroke

Turn that into a graphic style

Select an object that has whatever fill color.

Press Alt & click on the graphic style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to copy the drop shadow appearance credentials from the top shape to the shape underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My step by step directions solves that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm not sure that your technique works for copy Appearances. I use the layers panel, check this link: https://www.gameartguppy.com/illustrator-quick-tip-how-to-copy-appearances-between-objects/

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be achieved from the panel as well.

If you drag the little icon at the top left of the panel to another object, it will do the same as dragging the target symbol in the layers panel.

But in both cases it also copies the fill color.

I assume that is not desirable in this case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I drag/drop the appearance using layers, it strips the appearance creds from the one I'm copying from, but does transfer them to the new shape. So kinda works but not exactly how I want it to. I want the original shapes' appearance creds to stay as they are. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hand icon in appearance plaette, is to drag appearance items around within the same object. To copy and paste to another object doubeclick the eyedropper tool and check

MikeGondek_0-1652277615450.png

Unfortunately, you cannot just pick up the drop shadow effect. You will need to change back any other items such as fill color. 

If you recently created the drop show, you can go to

Effect >> Apply Drop Shadow, as it remembers the last effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got ya, so copy/pasting appearance creds won't work how I hoped for.

Once I've double-clicked on a shape with the eyedropper tool, how do I drop the appearance credentials on another shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines