• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy text from outside Illustrator and pasting it in adding a special character at the end

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last two days something has changed.  I copy/past a lot of text from the internet into Illustrator.  Now I get the text I copy but at the end of the line there's an "X" in a box.  It doesn't print but shows up within the art.  I have to manually hightlight and delete it each time...very time consuming.  But if I grab the text tool, click and then hit paste, the X is not there.  This only happens with I directly paste into Illustrator without using the text tool.  So frustrating!  Any help is appreciated. TheX.jpg

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

FYI, a rollback to version 25.3.1 has fixed the issue!  Thank you all for your input!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

FYI, this is a confirmed bug that Adobe is aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it!  So annoying and hard to believe it hasn't been addressed by Adobe yet. 

By @A_Free_Land_73

There's nothing to be addressed. I don't think it's a general issue, but caused by some individual software combinations you are using.

If you neded help figuring that out, you will have to contact Customer Care. They can login to your computer: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDK.  Everything I am running is stock...nothing facncy.  I thought at one point it was Google Chrome, but it does it with the MS browser too...even does it with Notepad.  Now, it I manually select the Type tool, click and then paste, it's fine, but if I simply start a new doc. and simply hit Ctrl-V, I get the issue.  I was told up in earlier conversations that Adobe was aware of this issue....still not been addresses.  As you can see too, I'm not the only one experiencing this glitch.  I may try to contact the Customer Care line, with my workflow any downtime is not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dug in a little more. I submitted it in the bug forum since it's not a support issue.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44404614-paste-...

The problem is that some, but not all Windows clipboard text formats terminate with a null character, 0000 in hex. Applications are supposed to ignore that character, but when you hit paste on the art board with Illustrator, it is treating that termination character as a legitimate part of the string, rendering the X. It's the text object generation function that isn't parsing it correctly. But when you go to print, or to paste into Notepad or whatever, THOSE applications properly ignore the null character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution i found is click on the document with the text tool selected then paste! that should remove the extra character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here...still very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in March of 2022 and this problem STILL hasn't been resolved.  It's so aggravating.  I'm in the same boat as you.  No Illustrator plugins at all.  One day, this problem just started happening. I ignored it thinking that Adobe would resolve it soon but they never did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 21. 2022

Using the latest Ai, the bug is still bugging me!

Hello!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amazing they cannot fix this issue, I've had to redo my work flow to get around this.  It's beyond ridiculous that Adobe has fallen asleep with this obivous flaw in their software.

This is total [removed by moderator].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the first time I got this bug, I have been updating the software many times till now, hoping with the new version that the bug is gone, but nope, they only update things that I don't care to use!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rarely update as my workflow doesn't require it. last week I finally did. This issue has plagued my workflow and I am unable to rollback far enough to escape this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club!  Pretty soon we'll have membership cards.  Yo Adobe...fix yourself already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing new with this issue? [removed] it's 2023, and this start in 2021 😄

Solution is to rollback on CS2..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Adobe is too concerned with getting there application startup screens artwork "just right" to be sure they are 1000000% inclusive so their ESG score is not effected.  Maybe their new AI b.s. will get it fixed for them in 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all seriousness, it seems like such a simple issue that it should have been fixed years ago, but must not be a priority.  At this point I've adjusted my workflow and going back would just be yet another adjustment...but would be a welcome one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've all adjusted our workflows, but from time to time, I've missed it. If I don't catch it, it will be a mistake in my work, and mistakes mean problems and money.  It's amazing to me that Adobe is allowing this problem to persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

100% agree.  It's going to bite someone in the ass someday if it hasn't already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you remove the x box at the end of the word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

backspace key.  but I've gotten into the habit of using the text tool and clicking first, then pasting my text...no problem that way.  Still annoying that they cannot fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines