• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file.

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this error message on dozens of my files. I can't get any of them to open!

"Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file."

Screenshot (4).png

I have Illustrator CC 2018 - The files are saved as CS6 with no PDF or attached files embedded. Only 2 linked files.

What can I do to fix my files?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

You could try to move the file to a different folder to break the link to the linked files.

Or open the linked files in Photoshop and save them as .psd.

Accor ding to this thread it seems to be related to corrupted linked files.

CS4 error message: Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand the file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly where did you save those files?

What did happen to the files since you saved them? Some disk crash, recovery, transferring to new drive ...

How do you get those files on your computer now?

When there is no PDF embedded, then chances are getting small. Did you already restart your computer? Take the files to a different computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to move the file to a different folder to break the link to the linked files.

Or open the linked files in Photoshop and save them as .psd.

Accor ding to this thread it seems to be related to corrupted linked files.

CS4 error message: Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

illustrator versions post 24.1 already have corrupt links handelling.. so upgrading illustraotr can takeaway the pain of to and fro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a few weeks, I'm having this problem more and more often

Most of the time, saving the file on the desktop and disconnecting does the trick. But when I'm connecting to the server again to link the files and find the corrupt one, there isn't any corrupt file. I can open all the files, none is corrupt. After linking them again, the AI-file still works.

But just now, I've done exactly that. I moved the file to the server again and I could open it. But now, 10 minutes later, the same problem occurs again!! As I said, I couldn't find any corrupt file. AND I could open it already.

Does anyone have any idea? I've already spent hours "repairing" these files without detecting any corrupted linked files. This is so annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a general issue with Illustrator and files on servers.

For some people it still works but for others it doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monika,

I'm having the same issue with illustrator. I literally created an account yesterday, so all the apps are the latest version. The file we worked on yesterday can't be open today. Any advice on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, it seems like I managed to solve it. I went back to the assets that were used in the file (.png file images) for some reason, one of them got the same error message when trying to open it in illustrator. By replacing that .png file everything came back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change file extention from ".ai" to ".txt" to ".ai"

It worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NcHlX3vUYs

How to fix: Change file extension from ".ai" to ".txt" to ".ai" It worked for me. https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/could-not-read-the-file-because-the-plug-in-could-not-understand-this-file/td-p/10069184

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to Illustrator 2020 and now I get this message "Could not read the file because the plug-in could not understand this file" to all my files that have clipping paths. I've tried to ignore the links, but it won't let me open the files evne when I ignore, or try to relink the images. I've tried to change the illustrator's file extension, and then chaging it back. Any other suggestions? Anyone else running into this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its because 2020 is now using POSIX style file paths instead of HFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm having the same exact issue.  I've tried moving the file and changing the extension, nothing has helped yet.  I hate having to recreate files that I could instead just be updating.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this in another thread...worked for me.

Hi All,

Sorry to hear about this error. This has been reported by a few other users as well and we are still investigating this. Please try following these steps and let us know how it goes.

Go to System Preferences > Full Disk Access > Make sure the Checkbox in front of Illustrator is checked.

Once done, quit Illustrator and relaunch it again and you should be able to open the files.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! You just saved my life. Your solution worked and now I can open my working files from the past 5.5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too! I can't seem to find "full disk access" under system preferences...what am I missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go:

System Preferences > Security & Preferences > Privacy > Full Disk Access then check Adobe Illustrator 2020. 

Hope that helps!

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solutions did not help me.  It was a recently downloaded .PNG file that my Preview can read on a Macbook Pro but will not open in Adobe AI.

Any other suggestions would be helpful!  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This solutions did not help me. It was a recently downloaded .PNG file"

This thread is about AI files.

For your PNG, please try and open it in Photoshop and then save via Save for Web. And then try again and place in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I should have clarified that while working in AI I am trying to place a PNG into a project.  I still used the work around you provided and the error still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save it as a PSD? As a TIF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

changing the file to .tiff extension allowed me to import/place it with the checkered transparancey bg.  Since the graphic was simple, I did a Image/Trace and removed it.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me hours here man, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of these solutions in this thread got me in the right direction and I ended up figuring out the problem. 

For me it ended up being...

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files & Folders > and then I didn't have "Documents Folder" checked, allowing Illustrator to access the documents folder, once I checked that, my files opened!  

Hopefully that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with png files - where are you finding 'System Preferences'? In AI preferences or the computer's preferences?  I have been all over AI pref's and can't find that terminology anywhere. A little more info would be really helpful, thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines