• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create outline from a solid black image?

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How to I take a solid black image such as this https://image.freepik.com/free-icon/horse-standing-on-three-paws-black-shape-of-side-view_318-52159.... and create an outline of it? I know some ways but what it results in being is the outline is actually a shape instead of a true outline because if I erase inside the outline it like erasing part of a shape instead of just not doing anything. I want the outline to be a true outline and just be straight line vectors.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

1. Create a new file in illustrator

2. File > Place the horse image you downloaded

3. Click "Image Trace" on the control strip

4. Switch to you Direct Select tool (white Arrow)

6. Select the White areas around the horse and delete them

7. Switch to the Select tool (Black Arrow) and select the horse

8. go to the color selection chips at the bottom of the toolbox and switch the black fill to black stroke

Done...

I can send you the file of my finished outline.

Horse Outline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to download your file but based on what I think I understand I created an all black jpeg of my own. Then I placed it in Illustrator, embedded it and ran Image-Trace (default settings) on it. Then I clicked the Expand button next to Image-Trace on the Control strip. I was then able to give it a fill of none and apply a black stroke around it. I then tested to see if the eraser tool would have any effect on the inside as your's did. The same thing happened to me when I first tried it. I then selected it and expanded it again using Expand under the object menu. It did change the outline to a compound path but this time the eraser tool had no effect on the inside and worked correctly on the outline. If you can use a compound path for your outline then this could be a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand that question.

Are you sure you understand how the eraser works?

And please show some screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make a silhouette on photoshop  and bring that photoshop file into illustrator and live trace? i can't download the image so i have no clue what it looks like.

How to Create a Silhouette from a Photo using Photoshop - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create a new file in illustrator

2. File > Place the horse image you downloaded

3. Click "Image Trace" on the control strip

4. Switch to you Direct Select tool (white Arrow)

6. Select the White areas around the horse and delete them

7. Switch to the Select tool (Black Arrow) and select the horse

8. go to the color selection chips at the bottom of the toolbox and switch the black fill to black stroke

Done...

I can send you the file of my finished outline.

Horse Outline.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if the question was not more clear. The image I am actually working with is already an Illustrator image. So I guess my real question is how do I make an outline of a .ai file. I would just use Image Trace, sliders, and etc. to get an outline of a .jpg file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you trace it without the white portions then you have the outline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If what you're saying is that you have an Illustrator object that is made up of several objects and you want a outline of the entire combined shape then select the whole thing and then use the Pathfinder Unite option to make it a single shape and then apply a stoke to the entire combined shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines