Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create PDF Compatible File

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are they any settings what I can get at to change for the Create PDF Compatible File when saving and Illustrator file with this turned on?

The reason I am asking is that I have some text in Illustrator (editable text) with a stroke. Looks okay in Illustrator, however, when viewed in Acrobat the text and the stroke have moved against each other.

The reason seems to be the PDF side of the Illustrator file acts different and make the stroke a line and the text as editable text.

I really hope someone can help me.

Thank you.  

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print and publish , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Not sure I'm really understanding your explanation, butI'll try to help! The first sentence was a bit confusing. 

Before you exported to .pdf, did you convert your text into outlines? If not, this might help. 

Otherwise it might help to have more information about how exactly you saved the file. Which version of .pdf did you choose? When I am doing a print project, I always use pdf/x-1a:2001.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marley,

Thank you for coming back to me.

We are not saving a PDF; we are saving a Illustrator file with Create PDF Compatible File turned on, like I said.

This Illustrator file then gets used by another programme that sees the PDF section of the Illustrator file.

Yes, converting the text to outline is a quick fix but not solving the bigger problem. And yes, we did convert the text to outline to get the job to the customer.

Thanks, Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how did you make that outlined text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, like everyone does in Illustrator.

Select all > Type > Create Outlines.

Outlining the text is not the problem here. The problem is the files looks okay in Illustrator with live text and a stroke applied to it, but when you look at the same file in Acrobat that live text with a stroke moves against each other like the images I supplied at the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, like everyone does in Illustrator.

Select all > Type > Create Outlines.

By @neilp26455500

And before that?

Just apply some stroke to the text?

Or did you apply it via the appearance panel?

Please look at it in the Appearance panel. Is there just one shape with fill and stroke? Or are there 2 shapes? Or probably a text object and a shape?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just one shape with a fill and stroke. Please see image I have added for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a simple shape. This is a text object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a text object. If you look at the images, the object is just some white text with a blue stroke.

Also, something to explain is that the start of the text object it is okay but once you get to the end you will see it has moved a lot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshots don't help understanding the issue.

Can you upload the actual files? Source file as well as PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I share this not on the open forum because it's a customer file and also the fonts are licenced to the customer? Please let me know my next steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't share the fonts at all. But in the PDF the text is outlined, right?

So maybe it works without having the fonts if you just upload the AI file and the PDF.

You can share the file by sending me a Dropbox or Creative Cloud link via private message (and maybe others would like to take a look as well).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have sent this to you privately. I hope you get this okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines