• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Multiple Symbols

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a file that has a large number of icons on it but would like to convert those icons into symbols to create a symbol library. However, when selecting multiple icons to create new symbols, it just creates one grouped symbol.

Is there a way to select multiple objects and have them convert into individual symbols?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check the script on this thread, hope it helps

Re: How to make Static Symbols as your default in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

I just looked at your script, and it’s amazing — but appears to change the default from Dynamic to Static, while Dany’s issue seems to be that she/he wants to select multiple icons and make them into individual symbols.

I am going to assume each icon is a group of objects, although we didn’t hear that. We also don’t know if they are on one artboard or individual artboards.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Yes, each icon is a group of objects and, they are all currently set in one artboard.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the discussion to Illustrator Scripting​ community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, the script just creates symbols out of whatever is selected. It just happens to make them static by default when they're created via scripting as opposed to making them dynamic when we create them by hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CarlosCanto  wrote

Thank you for the full explanation, Carlos — as well as for all of the scripts that you have written!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my pleasure Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have been in my hibernation phase when you posted this script, Carlos. This'll be very useful. Thank you!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

enjoy, thanks Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Carlos!

I was searching  for such a decision for a long time and finally found this thread. Unfortunately the link that you gave is inactive now... Is it possible to reload the link to the script? 

Thanks in advance

Anastasia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anastasia, yeah old threads didn't make it into the new forum format. But I have the original script. I'll post it in a separate replay (using the Blue "Reply" button at top of this page) to prevent my reply getting buried in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I was looking for! 😉 

Thanks a lot, Carlos!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dany. Just drag the icons to the Assets export panel, define the export settings and click the Export button.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marliton,

That would just create individual files. I'm trying to convert the icons into symbols within the symbols panel without having to do it 1-by-1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dany, did you try using the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all identical icons, run Carlos' excellent script then "replace" all selected symbol instances with ONE of the identical Symbols. The last step is to "Delete unused Symbols".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad. Sorry. I read wrong.

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the origial script posted in the missing link above. I hope this is the one.

// script.name = addStaticSymbols.jsx;
// script description = create Static Symbols out of selected Objects, Version 2 replaces selection with newly created symbol
// script.requirements = open document with one or more selected objects
// script.parent = CarlosCanto // 11/24/2017; v2 05/10/2018

function main() {
    try {var idoc = app.activeDocument;}
    catch (e) {alert ('Open a document and try again'); return };

var sel = idoc.selection, a, newSymbol, instance;

for (a=sel.length-1; a>=0; a--) {
        newSymbol = idoc.symbols.add(sel[a], SymbolRegistrationPoint.SYMBOLCENTERPOINT);
        try {
            newSymbol.name = sel[a].name;
        }
        catch (e) {}
        instance = idoc.symbolItems.add(newSymbol);
        instance.position = sel[a].position;
        sel[a].remove();
    }
}

main();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos.

I realize it has been a while since this thread has been active, but I hope I can catch your support.

When I try to run your script, I get an "Expected Statement" error. I tried looking it up, and it says it most likely is the file I am working from causing it. But I get this error on anything I try to run it on. 

Granted, I am not an expert at scripting, but I do believe I managed to copy paste your file, save it as .vbs, and I can click it in Ai, but it won't work.

Can you help, and apologies if this is something basic I am missing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Javascript.  Save it as .jsx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thanks so much for creating this. I'm working on a Mac and when I place this in script editor I get an error: Error -2700: Script error.

Hope you can help me out, I'm trying to create a symbol libaray for multiple items without dragging them in the libaray one by one. 

Thanks in advance!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Thanks so much for creating this. I'm working on a Mac and when I place this in script editor I get an error: Error -2700: Script error.

Hope you can help me out, I'm trying to create a symbol libaray for multiple items without dragging them in the libaray one by one. 

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Gaia, paste the text in a text editor (not script editor), then save it as Plain Text (not Rich Text). When saving give it a *.jsx extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Works like charm!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines