Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Partially Hollow Shape

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2019 Jun 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Illustrator, and I'm currently trying to make a shape that is partially hollow/distressed. I've gotten as far as making the shape that I want to apply this effect to, however I'm clueless as to where I should start in making this effect. I'm trying to make it so it still has a solid outline/border while the inside is hollow/distressed. Hoping for the end result to look something like this:

Profile Pic.png

If anyone knows how to accomplish this, I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could give me. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am assuming this is vectors.If so then you probably have a path for the outside of Jessica’s key (nerd!) and one for the inside. Copy those paths, or create them if this is a raster image. With both paths selected, and nothing else. go to Object > Compound Path > Make.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.35.03 AM.png

You now have the basic outline of your ankh with a hollow centre. You could fill this with black and place it behind the rest of the illustrator and you'll probably be done. If the ankh is a raster image and not vectors you have a little more work to do.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 12.35.20 AM.png

Position the ankh outline with the image. Make sure the outline is on top. Now select the outline and the image and go to Object > Clipping Path > Make. The image is now clipped by the ankh outline. Turn on the transparency grid (View > Show Transparency Grid) so see what is transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstood; I'm trying to replicate that effect where the inside is partially hollowed/worn out, on a different shape. That image is just one I used as a reference for what I'm trying to achieve, it's a stock photo I found on the internet around a year ago. I'm trying to accomplish the same effect as that image on a vector shape. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

Also got no idea what you mean by Jessica's key, sorry guessing it's a joke I'm not nerdy enough to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh,

I'm trying to accomplish the same effect as that image on a vector shape.

Then just do what Scott said, which applies to any (partially) hollow vector shape.

Concerning the distressed effect, you have to decide whether you wish to have just a flat appearance based upon a random distressed effect, in which case the easy way is the Clipping Mask Scott mentioned based on a large(r) object with the effect applied (a rectangle or whatever).

In the sample case shown with the ankh/Jessica's key, the distress clearly follows the shape and gives it depth. That appearance requires a customized distress effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be aesier if you could show us the object you want to apply the effect to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can increase the texture in Photoshop. If you want to render vectorel, you can use the TRACE function by importing it from Photoshop into Adobe Illustrator.

Ekran Resmi 2019-06-24 12.51.33.png

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe create a copy of the compound path and choose Draw Inside (icon at the lower end of the toolbos).

Use a brush (Artistic / Grunge) to paint the distressed texture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Shading is a lot easier in a pixel based program.

In illustrator you can use the Draw Inside mode and a suitable brush, (takes some practice) maybe chalk or

these free brushes and slowly build the shaded areas up

8 Free Stipple Shading Brushes for Adobe Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines