• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Curious issue with Lasso tool.

Engaged ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of think of the lasso tool like the direct selection tool, but with more flexibility in how it selects objects. But there is an important difference and it might be a flaw.  The lasso tool selects objects that are masked inside other objects.  The direct selection tool does not.  The box has horizontal lines masked inside but if the lasso passes over those lines, it will select them.  Look at the screen shots.  I have some art which is like this, but more complex.  It seemed like a perfect job for the lasso tool, but all of the hidden elements from another object are being selected. 1.jpg2.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure why you call it an issue.

The Direct Selection tool also selects the masked lines as soon as the selection marquee crosses the clipping path and the line(s).

I seem to remember that there once was one or two Illustrator versions that did not select the masked objects with the Direct Selection tool or the Lasso tool. That led to raging protests by long-time Illustrator users and therefore the behaviour was removed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The Direct Selection tool also selects the masked lines as soon as the selection marquee crosses the clipping path and the line(s)."

Well if you cross the clipping path then they'd both be the same and there would be no point in my post. My post shows the difference, not what you can do to make them the same?  I'm not sure why you posted that.  Either way, it's just something I noticed.  It reduces the usefulness of the lasso tool but is not the end of the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Kuttyjoe,

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this functionality is important to you, and I apologize for its unavailability at this time. Would you mind creating a UserVoice for this feature request (https://adobe.ly/3QBsDE0) and adding your comments there? Doing this will help us prioritize this request, and you will be notified of any updates.

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines