• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct selection of points results in entire object moving when entering amount in transform field.

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best example: I created a rectangle and selected only two anchor points on one side with the direct selection tool. I wanted to shift them both 1/4" to the left. I typed in a specified amount using PROPERTIES > TRANSFORM to move the selected points. In the X field, I typed "-.25 in" after the existing measurement shown to move the points that much from their current location. The WHOLE rectangle moved that amount, including the unselected points. If I do the same thing with just one point selected, it behaves as it should with the remainder of the points staying put. 

This is a new problem. I've used this method for years. Illustrator 26.0.3

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see this same behavior.

Using the Object menu > Transform > Move dialog will move only the selected points.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a reasonable work-around. But I hope they repair the problem. I use that convenient Transform tool window under Properties regularly. Thanks, Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't offer better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are using the wrong entry box. The X field is the starting horizontal position of the entire object. What you want to do is enter the -.25" at the end of the value currentlyin the W (width) box to the right

OR, the even easier way is to select the two anchor points and simply hit return key which invokes the Move box, and you enter your -.25" there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brad, that's a great tip about hitting the return key for the move box. I've been using Illustrator since the Stone Age and never knew that trick. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works for a single selected anchor point, not when multiple points are selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines