• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Selection Tool selects Objects

Participant ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have an object selected and click and drag a rectangle with the Direct Selection Tool  to select a couple of vertecis on the selected object's path it still will select and move the first object that is right under the cursor. The only way to do this is CTRL+Y and then only vertices are selected. 

But then what is the point of the Selection Tool?

In Photoshop the direct selection tool will ONLY select vertices and the selection tool only objects. 

Am I missing something? Do I have to CTRL Y back and forth every time I want to select a couple of vertices that overlap an unselected object?

I did manage to turn this of by selecting "Object  Selection by Path only" but then that renders the Selection Tool pretty finicky ..
I find the Photoshop way to be the correct way of working. Is there a way to make Illustrator work the same way?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

@anders_hattne 

When you select an object with the Direct Selection tool and click smack in the middle to select all of the anchor points, the entire object (all selected anchor points) will move. If some of the anchor points are selected, only those anchor points will move.

What I do in your case is to double-click the object with the Selection tool to go into isolation mode > deselect > select just the necessary anchor points with the Lasso or Direct Selection tool > move them > escape t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anders_hattne 

When you select an object with the Direct Selection tool and click smack in the middle to select all of the anchor points, the entire object (all selected anchor points) will move. If some of the anchor points are selected, only those anchor points will move.

What I do in your case is to double-click the object with the Selection tool to go into isolation mode > deselect > select just the necessary anchor points with the Lasso or Direct Selection tool > move them > escape to exit isolation mode.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if I have two objects selected and I want the verteces in of the elbow area to be selected, like I mentioned I can't just click and drag a selecion around those vertices because the below objects edges will be selected and move too. 
I can't seem to go into isolation mode for multiple objects. Having gto select each vertex indivualy is jut absurd.

anders_hattne_0-1686222174366.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@anders_hattne wrote on 24 May: 

If I have an object selected...

@anders_hattne wrote on 8 June
But if I have two objects selected...

Hi 

With two objects instead of one as in your original post:

• Selection tool: group them (Ctrl+G)
  • enter isolation mode
  • deselect
  • Direct Selection tool or Lasso: select and adjust anchor points
  • Escape to exit isolation mode
  • Ungroup (optional)

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines