• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Illustrator cc 2017 zoom to selection?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated my PC to the latest version of Illustrator, there is one feature that's bugging me, zoom to selection. I can see the appeal but i don't want it, it's disrupting my workflow, anyone know how to turn it off, when they introduced animated zoom, the GPU section of Preferences had a checkbox to disable it, I was hoping that zoom to selection may have a similar option, anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

>>>SOLUTION<<<

In Illustrator CC 2018, Adobe finally fixed this by adding a check box under preferences Section & Anchor Display.  You can disable Zoom To Selection.  It is enabled by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 167 Replies 167
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe...get it together!!  This is a real problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KEEP THE REPLIES COMING!

Breaking 100 replies should hopefully get someone from Adobe to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding to: Absolutely hate this "feature". I've been zooming in and out with illustrator since 5.5 and I'm pretty good at it.

Cute idea, but the user should be the one to choose to use it or not.

Fix please Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOATHE ENTIRELY! (in my best Grinch voice)

Seriously though. Every time I'm zoomed in working on something and hit my traditional shortcut for this and it jumps the screen to an entirely different location, I go from Walking on Sunshine to Hulk-rage in no time flat. 13+ years doing it a certain way and now we have to retrain our brains....WHY EXACTLY? I mean, I'm really just perplexed why they would change this. I'm all about improvements, but for the Adobe devs to treat an industry-standard piece of software like it's their living room that they got tired of looking at the furniture one way and so they decided to move around all the furniture...well that's just plain stupid. One little check box in the preferences. That's all we want. Give US the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really horribly obnoxious and an easy fix/update for adobe to correct. Maybe we can all ask as many of our illustrator friends to get involved and get this forum to 1000 comments. Then if that doesn't work we can organize marches on San Jose, Utah, and New York...thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long time Illustrator user here - this "improvement" to zoom in/zoom out is abhorrent. I cannot stand it. It's disruptive and annoying.

Do Adobe employees even bother reading this forum? If so - PLEASE add a toggle for zoom behavior (this way everyone will be happy).

Please don't follow the Photoshop team's example and alter fundamental features on a whim like this anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this issue will get more attention from Adobe if as many people as possible submit a feature request through the Submit Bug/Feature Request option in Illustrator or via this site. I fear that because the original question of this thread was marked as Answered and that the thread is long in the tooth and not on the Illustrator Feature Requests board, it may be ignored.

In Illustrator, go to Help > Submit Bug/Feature Request or create a post in the http://https://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator/illustrator_feature_requests

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.36.24 PM.png

Type in something similar to:

Please provide an option to disable the "Zoom to Selection" behavior for Command (CTRL) + and Command (CTRL) - shortcuts in Illustrator. The new "Zoom to Selection" behavior is disruptive to my workflow and is often disorienting. Zooming to selection requires the desired part of the object to be selected - something that is difficult to do when zoomed out. Zooming into the center of the object is often not useful because the points I need to manipulate are on the outside edges of the object. Forgetting to deselect the object, panning to a different part of the canvas, and then using the shortcut will jump the view back to the selected object, which is disorienting. When two objects that are wide apart are selected, the view will zoom into a point between those objects until both objects of interest are off the screen. Most of the time the object that I am working on or going to work on is already in the center of my screen. I shouldn't have to remember to deselect something I was working on previously in order to zoom into the object I want to work on next. This has caused me a lot of frustration and required me to switch to other methods of zooming, none of which are as effective, predictable, quick, and intuitive as the original CTRL+ CTRL- zoom behavior. Please see active discussion on this topic here: Disable Illustrator cc 2017 zoom to selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, original poster chiming in. I unmarked the "correct answer" so hopefully this will now jump to the "unsolved" issues on Adobes list and they can see how many people are unhappy with this feature. I use both a Mac and a PC and pressing Ctrl/Cmd with my thumb and +&- with my index finger is pretty basic, it'd be nice if I could do that again without jumping to the center of whatever object I have selected (which could be miles away from where I've zoomed in).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tim! Amount of people supporting this post is awesome. This has been noticed, and with continued support am confident we will make see an optional setting. Additionally let them know if you believe the default for zoom to selection should be off.

There has been major progress since this has been originally posted, as you can now drag and drop magnifying glass zoom again, if you updated to CC 2017 21.1.0 released April 5, 2017. Previously drag & drop zoom in CC 2017  21.0 would  zoom to selection instead, making snapping selected objects to other objects nearly impossible. You do have to uncheck animated zoom (better known as scrubby zoom) to get drag & drop zoom to work again.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 8.29.58 AM.png

While scrubby zoom is admittedly fun to has live feedback while you zoom,  you need to make a much longer and more mouse movement to zoom in close. Many of you will find Drag & drop zoom requires less mouse movements for precision commercial work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, good idea to to make an additional request to have the animated zoom feature off by default, I totally understand that it may be useful for some people but Adobe tend to add a "what's new" pop up when you download the latest version; so my thought is that they could perhaps just mention it there and say "tick the box in GPU preferences if you want the animated/ scrub zoom enabled".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also hate this, which is why I've now landed on this feed. Hopefully I'll get a notification if we get a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here just to add weight to the argument for getting rid of, adding a disable it feature, or separating it from the old keyboard zoom.

I agree with everyone who dislikes this feature - on the face of it, it seemed like a good idea but to implement it "automatically" (if an object is selected) instead of using a different keyboard shortcut is a crazy way to go about it. Cmd (Ctrl) plus -/+ is a zoom feature in quite a few NON Adobe applications (Chrome for one) so to mess around with something that is becoming an "industry standard" is bordering on arrogance.

As a sign maker / designer I have used a piece of software called Signlab (not so much these days). For at least 20 years or so this has had a "zoom to selected" feature. It is a great tool and I was very happy when I heard that Adobe had finally decided to add this. However, in Signlab, to zoom to selected you hit F7 and the object centres on the screen - filling the window. To zoom in further you use a different function key (F6). If nothing is select F7 zooms to ALL objects. The point being that it is a cognitive choice to "zoom to selected" and not an Artificially intelligent decision based on whether you have an object selected or not.

I can't understand why Adobe ever thought this way of activating it was a good thing.

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CASmate and FlexiSign software have both had similar to "zoom to selected" options, along with other zoom options.

CorelDRAW has a bunch of different zoom options one can add to tool bars, although "zoom to selected" is one of the default buttons included on its zoom toolbar. I always add the "one shot zoom" to the toolbar. That tool with allow the user to drag a marquee box around an area of the layout to be zoomed/magnified. The tool disappears, reverting back to the main selection tool. There are keyboard short cuts for most of the zoom settings. On the downside, CorelDRAW does not support some of the other familiar keyboard shortcuts for zooming and hand-panning that have long been common to Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand and some other design applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good News.

I've had an email back from the developers and they are taking steps to improve this feature. See message below:

"Thanks for reporting this request via bug reporting form , Illustrator Team really appreciates this.

I would like to inform that we have made an improvement to this feature and we have uploaded a build on pre-release where you can turn this option off from the Selection Preference."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one find this pre-release!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top of the forum's main page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I singed up for adobe prerelease and checked out all the latest builds but none of them included this in their release notes, so I emailed the general adobe engineer address sharewithai@adobe.com to figure out which prerelease to download.

Does anyone have more specific directions than the below?

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Monika+Gause  wrote

At the top of the forum's main page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an image

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 11.58.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure and read the NDA you signed when registering for the Prerelease team...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think you just breached the NDA there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accidentally did yes, I think they have removed my comment automatically but thanks for letting me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geez, are the mods just letting anyone into the prerelease now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst feature ever to be made on illustrator. While we're at it, InDesign needs to have an option to not zoom to selection either. The best option is to download the previous version of CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.

How about the scenario when you're zoomed in doing detail work, having two objects selected on opposites sides of the artboard and you zoom out once only to have your view arbitrarily positioned exactly between them so you can't see either one anymore and are forced to keep zooming out or zoom to artboard to regain your bearings. It's great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines