Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop shadow in Adobe Illustrator not working properly

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

When I apply a dropshadow to the blue shape this is happening. Has anyone experienced this before?

image (3).png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not duplicate the problem that you are having. Is this happening in just the one file or in any file that you try to apply the shadow effect? Can you show the entire file so that there is more context to what is going on? Could you give specifics as to how you made the drop shadow? What version of Illustrator and what operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I'm using version 28.6 Illustator Creative cloud on pc

the document is large 1870mm x 2640mm

I just created the shape from rectangle filled with blue and added the drop shadow in the appearance panel

Drop shadow:

Mode: Multiply

Opacity: 75%

X offset: 30mm

Y offset: 30mm

Blur: 20mm

test.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first guess is the drop shadow effect is actually being applied to more than one object. Seams like that should only occur at object edges. What does the artwork look like in outline view? The Appearance panel could provide some clues. Isolating the affected object on another layer might make it easier to organize any of the elements involved and eliminate certain elements that could be causing the problem. If the artwork was made by someone else and/or imported from a PDF there could be clipping masks, clipping groups or other stuff that wasn't readily visible. Isolating the element on a different layer can make it easier to release any of that stuff, examine what's listed in the object tree (in the Layers panel) and get rid of the unnecessary stuff.

If the artwork was imported from a PDF all sorts of "trash" might have been included. That might mean duplicate paths that are not painted or stroked, basically invisible. Sometimes imported PDF-based artwork might include rasterized (pixel-based) elements that have been sliced into strips or even tiles. Plugins like Vector First Aid can automatically clean up a bunch of that stuff. Otherwise it has to be cleaned up manually. When it comes to drop shadow effects in Illustrator it is best to have those applied to only one single path, not a group of objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobby,

So I created a new file 3000m x 3000m

Drew a circle and apply a drop shadow and get the same thing

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you toggle between View > View Using CPU <--> View Using GPU, does it change the result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad, 
No! That makes no difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your Document Raster Effect settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Effect - > Document Raster effect settings , Change the resolution to 300 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That can happen with super large objects.

If you draw a black shape and then apply the Gaussian blur effect - does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the problem, changing the raster effects resolution did not make a difference.

It may be caused by the large size of your dropshadow and a limit in Illustrator.

You could try if creating the blurred shadow object in Photoshop works better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your help.

I think it is a kind of glitch going outside the norm. I have found a work-around. But also think I might have created the problem.

So prior to the problem about a week ago, I read somewhere that you can create larger than the max artboard size which is a about 5200mm. 

So I created a 10meter artboard from the new document panel. So now I find that on large created artboard the shadow is fine. But if I copy and paste the same item into the smaller artboard the lines appear in the shadows.

Left image on 3000mm artboard.  Right image on 7000mm artboard.

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @peterh53388997,

Thanks for sharing your findings with us! It sounds like you've been through quite a bit to troubleshoot this issue. The glitch you're encountering with the drop shadow on smaller artboards can indeed be frustrating.

A workaround you might want to try is lowering the Document Raster Effect settings to 36ppi. This should help eliminate the glitch, regardless of the artboard size.

Also, could you let us know if the issue appears in the exported PDF or when printed? We're here to help ensure everything runs smoothly for you.

Best regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been able to reproduce this. I opened the same circle test on both my Mac and a Win PC, and the Win PC showed signs of the same stair-stepping (left), where the Mac one was not affected (right)

compare.png

That being said, this seems to be just a screen display anomaly. The output of the file is not affected. e.g. if you export it as a PNG, it's fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines