• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Envelope distort feature that allows user to choose between horizontal or vertical distortion

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get something to fit in an envelope distort with the top object without distorting vertical? It would be a great if there was a feature with the envelope distort the distorts only the horizontal axis or only the vertical axis. I've found work arounds for this in the past but I'm trying to create something right now where my workarounds would create way more work than feels necessary. I know that I can achieve the desired effect using a mesh but this would take quite a bit of time to line all of these up.

I've attached a small sample (multi colored wavey text) of my idea here but for the end result I'm hoping to create a pattern without this text being being distorted on the vertical axis and making a mesh for that would take a long time.

I've also attached an example (fire design) of the kind of distortion I'm looking for. I created this using the bulge warp feature.

Is this a possible feature to have created?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have more control with Make with War or Make with Mesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warp unfortunately would not allow me to create the random waves I'm looking to create and using a mesh will take me very long to do but will work. I feel like there should be a way for the program to decide that vertical or horizontal axis points are locked in order to only create distortion with "Make with Top Object" on those axises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could take a look at the plugin FilterIT (not for free, but there should be a demo for evaluation)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This really only took a few (maybe ten?) minutes, including setting up the type:

1) Draw a rectangle and apply Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh. In this case, give it four rows and two columns.

2) Adjust the points and handles to create "random" waves.

3) Release Envelope Distort and delete original rectangle.

4) Select the resulting mesh and desired type object, Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object.

tromboniator_0-1674820721857.png

tromboniator_1-1674820763722.png

You can always adjust the type or the mesh to fine-tune it.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines