• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

error open vector smart object from photoshop to illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a window prompt 'text import options' appear in Illustrator asking for an enconding

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

It is Mojave related.

If I double clicked on an ai file in the finder window, it opens in a PDF import window in Photoshop.

The same happened if I double clicked on a smart object layer (an original ai file) in Photoshop. It opens that PDF import window in Photoshop.

Then I changed the default program for AI files to Illustrator and it works again as it used to be. (double click on a smart object layer in photoshop and open this in illustrator)

-> select an .ai file in finder

-> richt click, get info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which system?

Which version of the software?

Please tell us step by step what you are doing.

Does the smart object show in the Photoshop file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Mac OS Mojave.

1) I created an graphic in Illustrator

2) I copied it and pasted in a new document in Photoshop as a 'Vector Smart Object', and made few adjustments to vector graphic

3) I double clicked the 'Vector Smart Object' icon, to open it in illustrator >> this dialog box 'Text Import Options' prompts with encoding for Platforms, Character set defaulted to ANSI + (about 10 more other types); carriage returns checked boxes, and 'Extar Spaces' default checked value 3.

I have tried

a) hitting OK within the various options

b) all results leads me to an SVG  text file (in Illustrator)

I also have reinstalled creative cloud, and reinstalled all apps individually, including Photoshop and Illustrator with new reseted preferences. Lastly, in AI Preferences under 'File Handling & Clipboard I have clicked off all settings, and using the mac Activity monitor I reset Apples's default clipboard. Nothing resolved. Since the Adobe support is super unhelpful, I am out of hope.

Thanks in advance Monika for any additional help that you can send my way.

Regards,

Silvio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and made few adjustments to vector graphic

What exactly did you do? Double clicked that smart object in Photoshop and then saved it?

The trouble is that your vector artwork seems corrupt. But you have an additional problem: the vector artwork is inside Photoshop. You don't have it as a separate file.

What you can try: Save the Photoshop file as PSD and open that in Illustrator (embed, Layers converted to objects).

If that doesn't work and I'm really not sure if it can work at all, try this:

Save as a Photoshop PDF and open that in Illustrator and see what you can get. It would be important to delete any transparency or layer effects from that Smart Object in Photoshop before saving it as a PDF.

Also: I don't know if this can work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Mojave related.

If I double clicked on an ai file in the finder window, it opens in a PDF import window in Photoshop.

The same happened if I double clicked on a smart object layer (an original ai file) in Photoshop. It opens that PDF import window in Photoshop.

Then I changed the default program for AI files to Illustrator and it works again as it used to be. (double click on a smart object layer in photoshop and open this in illustrator)

-> select an .ai file in finder

-> richt click, get info

-> set open with to "illustrator

-> click "change all".

I don't remember if had to relaunch photoshop.

Anyway, it fixed the problem for me.

Sam

------------------------------
We explain how to do stuff
animation - video - elearning for technical trainings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika and Sam,

Sam, I am glad that it got resolved for you. You are totally right, it is indeed a Mojave issue. I tested older ai files, the problem seems with Illustrator's Edit / Copy -> to - Apple's clipboard. For example a simple square is viewed as a xml text encoding. So Photoshop gets the square from AI but it can't communicate back with AI prompting a 'Text Import Options' box. I tested it in Windows AI and all worked fine. I will try again resolve that with Adobe. Thanks again.

Silvio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Dont know what to do. Please help Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dean, Hello, did you follow the steps Sam described in his answer? if yes, what is the error message or the problem you are facing. Which operating system and Ps/Ai versions are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Photoshop 21.0.1 / Illustrator 24.0.1

When i paste a vector form illustartor and create a vector smaatr object i cannot edit.

It opens illustrator with Text import box.

I can see the smart object file in the Temp folder. Its a file wit .ai extension and Illustrator icon, but when u open it, text import appears.

Heres the file: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZhnOmkZejB2EHyzDpQgc6WjwuXHUpr2zyGy

When i paste in photoshop no options appear anymore (smart obejct, Pixel, Path, Shape layer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Photoshop 21.0.1 / Illustrator 24.0.1 / Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

When i paste a vector form illustartor and create a vector smaatr object i cannot edit.

I can see the smart object file in the Temp folder. Its a file wit .ai extension and Illustrator icon, but when u open it, text import appears.

Heres the file: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZhnOmkZejB2EHyzDpQgc6WjwuXHUpr2zyGy

When i paste in photoshop no options appear anymore (smart obejct, Pixel, Path, Shape layer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes. but i guess my problem is different

Hi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"yes. but i guess my problem is different"

"Same problem here."

Now is it different or do you have the same problem? You decide. If it's different, then please create a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If u read you will see.
My problem is the same, but the solution probably different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i have this error on monterey 12.3 with both photoshop and illustrator up to date on the CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even im facing the same issue on mac monterey lastest update.

My photoshop and Illustrator are upto date. However when i click on the smart object thumbnail in photoshop the object does'nt open in illustrator. this is the pop up i get when i try to open smart object.

Screenshot-2022-03-28-at-6.43.59-PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this -1703 error for the first time today as well. I'm not sure what's happening. Everything was working fine yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this exact same error when trying to edit a vector smart object.  I get the exact same error shown above.  Tried removing/reinstalling illustrator. Still does the same thing.  Not specific to one file.  Has anyone solved this?  I need to be able to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pessoal, estou com o mesmo problema faz um tempo e ainda não consegui resolver.

Alguém tem alguma solução? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines