• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

executeMenuCommand() Command List

Enthusiast ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While building Ai Command Palette I found a great list of executeMenuCommand() values extracted by Shalako Lee from the 2017 SDK. As you might imagine, some of those commands no longer work, and since I'm about to release v0.2.0 of Ai Command Palette I've been testing them all and keeping track of the results in this Google Sheet.

I'm sharing this here because I figured this might be useful to some of you who write scripts for Illustrator. The sheet includes the Original List of commands from Shalako and a working list of the commands that I'm testing in Ai v26.3.1.

Right now I'm about halfway through the original 506 commands from Shalako's list. So far, I've found about 90 that no longer work. I've also updated any verbiage that may have changed in the menu system (since 2017) and updated the ordering to match Ai v26.3.1.

I also, made a simple script to test the commands below if you want to test any yourself. I'm trying to test each command in context to ensure they are working correctly.

Let me know if you have any other that I may have missed... Cheers!

P.S. There is another list on this forum (posted in 2014) that I have yet to review but I am aware of it and plan to compare it with Shalako's.

var result = prompt("Enter Command To Test", "", "Test Built-In Commands");

try {
  app.executeMenuCommand(result);
} catch (e) {
  alert("Error executing command:\n" + result + "\n\n" + e);
}

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Guide , Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

You may be interested in this 

I've found Ten A's list to be the most complete: 

https://ten-artai.com/illustrator-ccver-22-menu-commands-list 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

I also maintain a menuCommandString database, so I will introduce it. It is Illustrator 2022 (26.4.1) equivalent and is made of Notion. There are currently 530 commands in this database.

Illustrator Reference/ExtendScript/app.executeMenuCommand | Notion

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

There is my list for app.executeMenuCommand('command'),

with some plugins and parm error:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr426jos9gw09ko/menu.txt?dl=0

And app.selectTool('command'):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjivaj753y1egwl/tool.txt?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah found that. Pretty cool tool by the way. Very impressive since I read you started development in 2020. I guess by that you meant learn to code right?

Ps do you know of the website by Jonas to create dialog layouts for scriptui. It's super handy for creating precise and much shorter code for dialogs

Checkout out: scriptui.joonas.me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree with you about the short code in scriptui.joonas.me. After export you can refactor and shorten the dialog code by removing unimportant parameters, properties of dialog objects. I use it to quickly create a visual structure, but then I clean up the code afterwards. As a tool, this dialog builder is certainly good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sergey Osokin 

Ow yeah I remove that restore section. But otherwise, it's way easier to work with vs those old files like we see in photoshop. Where each prop always has the parent prop etc etc before it. It makes referencing a bit more complicated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really glad to hear you found the tool handy! And yes, I use scriptui.joonas.me often, mostly as a visual layout tool and reference. I typically still write most of the UI code by hand because I enjoy pain 🤣.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ow really, that's a waste of time. I mean I remember prior to finding that, that checking layout takes so much time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines