• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expand Patterned Object Without Changing the Size of the Pattern Items

New Here ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported an AI (alterable) fleur de lis pattern that I like, but will need to cover a larger area. When I "expand," it naturally expands the size of every single fleur de lis...

What may I do to get this perfect-sized pattern to cover a larger area of the art-board?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Are you sure this is a repeating pattern, or vector artwork, masked by a rectangle. You can view >> Outline to check, if you see the vector shapes, then it is an expanded pattern. You can then use direct select tool to grab one Fleur De LIs and use Object >> pattern >> Make, then adjust Pattern Option for how you want to repeat.

I would grab the vector 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

You can use the pattern maker to create a seamless pattern. Use pixels or points as units and no fractions in the size of the pattern tile.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/create-edit-patterns.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a real pattern swatch aplied to a rectangle?

Then go to Preferences > General and turn off "Transform patterns"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  The photo here is not the actual thing that I'm using. It's a pattern from a manipulable Adobe stock (will add this).

I expanded with "Transform patterns " OFF- but the little fleur de lis got BIGGER...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files from Adobe Stock might be built in a myriad of ways. Some of which might not be the best approach.

So without knowing what exactly is happening, this might get difficult.

Instead of expanding the pattern, you could try and Object > Flatten transparency.

Or rebuild the pattern from the base object and making your own version of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have opted to rebuild the pattern. How does one make it perfectly aligned with equal spacing top & bottom, etc... That is without having to ZOOM to microscope level of magnification to "eyeball it."

Also, while I'm here, how does one make perfect allignments with other objects like corner borders, etc without having to "eyeball?" This will save me lots of time and headache/frustration!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use the pattern maker to create a seamless pattern. Use pixels or points as units and no fractions in the size of the pattern tile.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/create-edit-patterns.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure this is a repeating pattern, or vector artwork, masked by a rectangle. You can view >> Outline to check, if you see the vector shapes, then it is an expanded pattern. You can then use direct select tool to grab one Fleur De LIs and use Object >> pattern >> Make, then adjust Pattern Option for how you want to repeat.

I would grab the vector 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines