• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expanding strokes to outlines is not precise, it seems to make all of the stroke weights thicker.

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a complex logo that I am ouputting and have converted all of the strokes to outlines. Whether I use the Expand or Outline Stroke method, both options make the strokes slightly heavier, which I dont want, as it fills in when the logo is small. I tried making the weight of the strokes thinner and converting again, and it still seems to make them heavier. It is only apparent when I print the files. The un-coverted logos print great, just as I want them to appear. The outlined version prints heavier, which I dont want.

Is there a way around this?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be the RIP that interprets strokes differently than shapes.

Which makes this complicated, because you don't know what will happen on the press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika and Bobby,

Thank you for your responses. I am still having issues with strokes after they are expanded. I have modified my artwork and made the strokes thicker. I now have .25 pt strokes, and expanded them using Object > Path > Outline Stroke. They appear fine in Illustrator, but after I save as a PDF, all the strokes in the sky look thicker and parts of it appear to merge together when previewing at actual size. This happens no matter which settings I use to create the PDF.

I have not output yet, but they'll probably print PDF at Staples tomorrow, likely it will print badly, as it previews. 

See PDF and AI output attached here. (the strokes in the SKY area are the issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant upload the AI file. Here is a link to the file on google drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1usDvxcKM1Yl0UbL9Tn6Nwznmi7WbTh4Y/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your printer (or RIP) allows it, try using a higher quality/higher resolution setting. That should lessen any differences between how line strokes are rendered if maintained as strokes or converted into editable outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! My home printer doesnt allow a different setting. I have been outputting at Staples, since they have a high quality Fiery print. I also tried a variety of settings when creating the PDF. It is still happening.

See response above for latest issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As has been mentioned, some rips will thicken very thin lines, to ensure they don't disappear, this is less likely when the lines have been converted to shapes, as you have done to your file. While vector art is almost always preferred over raster, if you export your logo as a high-res .tiff (say 600 dpi) you might see better results on your home printer.

I suspect your current vector version would look better when printed at Staples, but send a side by side test print, if it's important to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines