Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

export asset as obj greyed out

Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've imported an .ai file.  its a xmas bauble and personalised with a name.  i've edited the name and grouped all the objects together. i then select all and try to export it as a .obj file for 3d printing.  if no assets are selected in the asset export window the export as obj option is available.  as soon as i select an asset the obj option becomes greyed out and i cannot export.

can someone advise where i am going wrong please

no asset selected

no asset obj available.jpg

with asset selected

asset selected obj not available.jpg

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBJ is for 3D objects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its been extruded in 3d and materials window.  does that not make it a 3d object which i can then export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you perhaps show how it looks in the layers panel? It looks like a group. Are all objects extruided?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, all objects are extruded and grouped together

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please upload the file to Dropbox or Creative CLoud or the like and post the link here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's weird: the OBJ option is active for me. When I export it, it actually gets created.

I'm not sure, why it's not working for you. Now the font you used is not installed on my computer. That would be the only different thing (I have version 27.0.1 on Mac OS). Maybe you can try a different font for the names just in case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to make sure i'm doing things the correct way this is the way i'm trying to export it.

after editing the text i click on, /select/all/ then click, /file/export selection/

and then i make sure the last asset is checked and then i try to select obj from the drop down format type which in my case is greyed out.

i have tried different fonts but still no joy

is that the way i should be trying to export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag them into the Asset Export panel and then export from there. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, i updated to the latest v27.0.1 on win10 x64.  Exporting as obj working now but now a problem with storage space.  I have 10gb of storage space on my C drive and 25gb of space on my D drive.  I have my D drive set as my scratch disk.  I exported the attached xmas bauble file twice with different names and my storage space on my C drive dwindles from 10gb down to 1.92gb even though my scratch disk is set to D drive.  the two exported files are very small and are only 10mb each in size so how am i temporarily losing 8gb of storage space.   i have to restart my pc to get the storage space back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the exact problem. Obj appears to me in grey, and I'm working with a 3d object. Is there any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what it looks likes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has that 3D object been created with the 3D and materials effects?

Please show us the object, the appearacne panel and the layers panel with the object visible in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! please find attached the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the Classic 3D effect applied. It will only work with 3D and materials effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh you are totally right! thanks so much for the quick answer 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. 

The 3D effects can be irritating. But there are still things you can only do with the classic effets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines