Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export Embedded file's binary to a File

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have an Illustrator file that contains an embedded item which has it's file property missing, like:

embedded.file
There is no file associated with this item

Is there a way to obtain the binary file that's embedded in Illustrator as a file on the File System?

For example, if I were to embed a File in the Illustrator, is there a way to obtain the same exact binary file through Illustrator's scripting API?

I know that the embedded.file.copy(new File(newDestination) would work and I've tested this. But I do not work with .ai files that have embedded files which have the file property populated.

TOPICS
Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JSuX, this might not be what you need but, just in case, have a look at my "Unembed Raster Item" script I posted here. It attempts to save embedded, file-less images as .psd files.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply @m1b,

Duplicating a layer to a new Document within Illustrator and exporting it using any of the Export*Options is something we're trying to avoid, we know that it will work. We're after obtaining the exact same binary that was embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep I expected as much. I don't think you'll get much further with ExtendScript. Maybe look into the SDK? Good luck.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines