• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting ai to jpg doesn't show all items

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator I use a symbol which consists of a red circle with a white edge. On top of such a symbol I place a number.

When exporting the ai to a jpg the number won't show. When I use a regular red circle with a white edge the number on top shows correct in the jpg.

Is this a bug that things placed on top of a symbol don't show in the jpg ?

When saving as a pdf  things go correct.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

I understand where the small size came from. The disappearing objects on export as jpeg is a recent introduced bug.

Instead of changing your dynamic symbols  to static, you can also use File > Export for Screens, which does not have that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an example file? PDF (with Illustrator editing) can be attached in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I sent you a reply............

New attempt: ai-file in the attachment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving as an pdf the option for Illustrator editing is greyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enclosed the pdf you asked for and the jpg.

The pdf does it right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but your artwork is too small to save as an image at that size, there will not be enough pixels to show it.

Of course the PDF looks good when you zoom in, because the PDF still has the vector information.

Scale your artwork to a size that makes it visible in an image. See the Transform panel for the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I place a number on top of a circle-symbol the number doesn't show in the jpg.

When I place a number on top of a regular circle of exact the same size it does show in the jpg.

So, I don't think it has to do with the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very small, I need to have another look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a workaround by replacing the symbols with regular circles. It is still weird though. Maybe it has something to do with overprint as you mentioned but I have to take a closer look at overprint to understand the concept. If I have to select each number separately and make it overprint than I prefer the regular circle option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was distracted by the very small size of your symbol {your symbol is tiny 0,0666 cm not even 2 px in size), but I think I found the cause of the problem.

Your symbols are Dynamic symbols. If you change that in the Symbol options to Static the numbers will appear.

I can recreate the problem in 2024, but it works fine in the 2023 version. 

Looks like a bug in the 28.5 version.

This seems to only happen with jpeg export, png export looks fine and jpeg export for screens works too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a white number? Did you check for Attributes > Overprint?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a white number.

When exporting to jpg, which attributes do you mean ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window menu > Attributes

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 14.30.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to look at this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I haven't mentioned it in my messages before but it worked properly some months ago. So I think your conclusion about the versions is probably right. I will change the symbols to "static" to see if this will solve the issue. 

Also, fyi, regarding the very small size. This is because the "numbers on circles" are part of a large map. I deleted all the layers and other items to isolate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where the small size came from. The disappearing objects on export as jpeg is a recent introduced bug.

Instead of changing your dynamic symbols  to static, you can also use File > Export for Screens, which does not have that problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help and the workaround. Things are clear now. It is good to know there's not something wrong with me as exporting worked properly before 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines