• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extendscript for Illustrator; can I access stroke profile or width points?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to write a script to converts brushstrokes to paths with variable width. But I cannot seem to access the variable width properties of a stroke or path points.

Is it possible?

Screenshot 2024-08-15 at 18.35.20.pngScreenshot 2024-08-15 at 18.35.38.png

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Razamus , sadly the scripting API does not provide access to those details. The only possible avenue is to us Actions I think. Actions can be used from a script, so that might be something you can use but, even so, I doubt it will give the fine control you are looking for. Sorry 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What action would you use? I want to script it, because Illustrator on iPad doesn't have the width tool, and I really want to use the pressure sensor to create paths with variable width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea, I'm afraid. I don't use actions much. @Kurt Gold do you think actions could help here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's any easy way to do it. Adobe has really messed this up. Their iPad apps are just useless. And they're not even allowing us to fix them, by accessing the necessary parts in userscripts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Mark. Actions are impotent in this case as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kurt. Sorry @Razamus no luck. And yes, I agree; I would love to see Illustrator's scripting API brought into line with all of its capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To some extent I have to amend my statement above.

At least applying saved custom width profiles can be recorded with an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines