• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eye dropper not applying selected fill to grouped objects

Participant ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using eyedropper tool to select a fill color from another vector object on the page, if I have grouped objects or text selected, it will not apply the selected fill. It will apply the stroke (if there is any) and it will show in the color panel that I have applied the color, but it does not change the fill. Now if I ungroup the objects, then use the eyedropper, it will apply the fill.
  With text, if I outline the text, ungroup the letters, use THEN use the eyedropper, it will apply the fill.
Objects will show the correct fill when using sliders and swatches UNLESS I use the eyedropper on them. Once I use the eyedropper, that text or grouped object's fill color is locked (at least on screen). 
  This just started happeneing with the latest update. 
  Running Illustrator 24.1.2 on Windows 10 Pro.

UPDATE: Latest update:24.1.2 - Text has been fixed but eyedropper still not applying color to selected groups objects. 

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Hold shift while clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holding Shift while clicking is not a valid answer, maybe for eyedropping solid colors bot not if you need to eyedrop a gradient. If you do this and eyedrop the gradient it will only pick the color in the gradent you selected. 

I have tried to debug this over any over and so far ungrouping everything (which is unrealistic also) just to eyedrop doesn't alwasy work. Holding shift doesn't always work. What I did find if you double click the eydropper tool so its menu opens up, and you turn off "appearance" setting from both options, and the eyedrop tool works fine without having to hold shift. . The downside is that you will no longer be able to eyedrop anything and it copy the appearance of the object. For example if you have some artwork that has a transparcy or what not added to it and you need to copy it. Using the eydrop tool will not copy it and will only copy say the color at 100% without the appearance options added. 

here is a video link showing what im refering to: https://www.loom.com/share/6c3e0a404b054079828b161e52b7a063?sid=63f827df-cf19-4bb0-bd1e-292ef15c8082

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did find if you double click the eydropper tool so its menu opens up, and you turn off "appearance" setting from both options, and the eyedrop tool works fine without having to hold shift. . The downside is that you will no

By @Scarlett.3369

You can only have either or. Being able to apply appearances to groups is an advantage and not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never said that part was a bug Being able to add appearances to a group is fantaistic and saves time. But you forget to hold shift and it not work then have to always click undo a few times to get it to work again is becasue you cant just hold shift and retry becuse it will not work still. But i feel like it use to be holding shift would makit copy appearances, and not holding shift would copy the basic color 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator cannot know what you want to pick up for the group. So you have to configure the eyedropper tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

not talking about just groups... Single objects as well have this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines