• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eyedropper selecting gradient mesh layer color vs image color

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my students is working on a MacBook Pro using current OS and software for AI and in her video, she shows that the eyedropper is set up correctly (select point) and regardless of what she does, her eyedropper will only select the layer color when she clicks on the anchor point to create her gradient mesh vs picking up the image color. She's an emerging learner and I've only seen this once before about 10 years ago and don't recall that we had a solution then either. She is toggling back and forth between the Direct Selection Tool and the Eyedropper to get her color and it is ONLY selecting the layer color of the mesh lines at the anchor points. Anyone else see this issue?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this mesh set up exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the image been converted to a vector or is it still pixels? If so, what is the mesh of? Can you show the layers panel expanded please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're trying to pick up the color from the photo and apply it to the points in the mesh, here's a video with a simple technique: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2012/01/gradient-mesh-magic/

You'll notice that the Mesh is in a separate Layer and that Layer is in Outline mode, which allows you to click though the mesh with the Eyedropper to pick up the color from the photo and apply it to a selected mesh point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course the image is on a template layer with the image "dimmed" to 100%. The vector artwork she is creating is on its own layer as well. She is using the navigator to "see" what she's doing as she's working in wireframe mode so she can use the eyedropper. The issue is that the eyedropper is ONLY picking up the colors of the anchor points due to the layer's assigned color in the layers panel. It is set to red right now, I've had her change the layer color and the eyedropper behaves the same way. Her settings on the eyedropper are correct (as seen in the video). I've used Illustrator as a master user since 1987 when it came out. I'm baffled at how and why this is happening. 
The work-arounds are annoying at best but I'd rather solve the issue than put a band-aid on it.

She transferred the artwork from her Macbook to her Mac to see if that made any difference (it shouldn't) and it did not. At this point I've exhausted so many tricks its silly. That's why I'm here in hopes that someone else has had this issue and knows how to solve it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no of course, as we can not assume what anyone's knowledge on this forum is or is not.

That being said, I can not replicate the problem, it works just as it should for me, so again I ask that you post the layers panel expanded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share a file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines