• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File not found error when opening an ai file.

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I recently switched computers to work at home, I put all my files in Adobe Creative Cloud.  When working at home I download the file and open... However some files show as do you want to replace as it cannot be found.  

Why is this happening on all my files?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

When you placed your images into this project, you likely created a link to the original location of those files. So, even though you moved your Illustrator document, you either didn't also move the associated files, or changed their relative location to the original. To fix this, either embed your placed files, or create a package. This creates a new folder with all your linked files, and changes Illustrator's information on their relative position in the file system. To learn about packaging,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you placed your images into this project, you likely created a link to the original location of those files. So, even though you moved your Illustrator document, you either didn't also move the associated files, or changed their relative location to the original. To fix this, either embed your placed files, or create a package. This creates a new folder with all your linked files, and changes Illustrator's information on their relative position in the file system. To learn about packaging, see this article:
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/package-files.html

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the further information.  I will need to change the way I save files moving forward. TY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great to know, thank you! Is there any way to embed the files post hoc? I don't have access to some of the images in my ai file anymore but I need to edit the ai file. Everytime I open it it reduces the resolution of the images that it cannot find (I assume it is just using the thumbnails it created of them as placeholders). I have a PDF version that opens fine in acrobat but when I open it in illustrator it does the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to open the PDF file in Photoshop in the Import dialog select Images and save them to relink/embed them in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines