Exit

File opens in two tabs - identical and also connected

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
I have an issue of which I don't know if it is a feature or a bug:
the file I've creted and worked with over the last month now suddenly opens in TWO tabs: even named "..file.ai:1" and "..file.ai:2" (with a colon after the file type) . They are connected so if I change something in one file, the other one does the same change immediately. Even saving as a new file won't change this behaviour. Still two tabs out of one file.
Does anyone know what this is? Did I accidentally hit a shortcut for any "special-duplicate-view"?

I appreciate your answers!
Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Ooops, so sorry for the confusion. The additional windows must be created in the Window menu: Window > New Window.

YOu can then click back and forth between them, arrange them using the window layout menu to the very top right corner directly left to the workspaces. That way you can even view them side by side. Again: sorry for the confusion.

As you already suspected the feature has already been introduced a couple versions back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a new View of every file, so you can e.g. work on it in different modes. One window in Outline view, the other one in Preview. The feature is in the View menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,
thank you for your fast reply!

That was my first guess as well - very interesting mode! I asume it exists for years but I've never noticed, right?
Still: I just went up and down my view-menu on top but can't find the feature listed there. I must be blind but could you do me the favour and tell me the name of this feature so I can locate it?
Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops, so sorry for the confusion. The additional windows must be created in the Window menu: Window > New Window.

YOu can then click back and forth between them, arrange them using the window layout menu to the very top right corner directly left to the workspaces. That way you can even view them side by side. Again: sorry for the confusion.

As you already suspected the feature has already been introduced a couple versions back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ohhh wow!! Yeah I've found it now! Thanks again...
It really seems that I've must have accidentally clicked on it (as there is no shortcut for it predefined). Love it when something like that happend *lol*... Every day is a school day! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines