Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FMCore Has Been Stopped

Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my Mac OS to the wonderful 10.6, or Snow Leopard as it is called. Now, I receive an alert message when opening Illustrator CS3. The specific alert message is:

"FMCore has been stopped. Please start it from the System Preferences pane and then relaunch Adobe Illustrator CS3."

Normally, I would completely understand what to do here; go to System Preferences and start FMCore. But, I can't find FMCore anywhere. Now what?

I reinstalled CS3 from the disc, hoping that would "repair" FMCore, but it didn't fix the problem. And I've searched high and low for an answer before posting here. But, apparently my problem is unique enough that nobody is talking about it.

Can anyone advise me on what I could/should do from here? I appreciate any help you might offer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Toward the bottom of the System Preferences panel, you should see Suitcase Fusion. Click on it and turn on the core. You should probably also select turn on at startup. You might have to log off and relog back on before it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Suitcase Fusion 2 by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did install Suitcase Fusion last night to see if I liked it since I've also been having trouble syncing fonts with Fireworks, but I haven't used it. Is that the problem? Would simply uninstalling Suitcase be the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toward the bottom of the System Preferences panel, you should see Suitcase Fusion. Click on it and turn on the core. You should probably also select turn on at startup. You might have to log off and relog back on before it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! That solves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use it you might have to update it as well there is a recent update as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2009 Oct 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great solution. I'm using OS X 10.5, Adobe CS4, and Suitcase Fusion 2 and this still solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem popped up for me last week and while not a major issue, was annoying.

Thanks to you, it's now sorted, so thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2009 Nov 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post. It quickly helped me out this morning too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could kiss you right now. I was getting so frustrated and couldn't find ANYTHING on my computer called FMcore.

A million thank you's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2010 Jan 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for posting this solution!

I have been trying to find where in the Systems Preferences there was "FMCore" with no luck.

I also developed a problem that now i can't open Illustrator CS2 on this computer, but that is probably a separate issue. I can open the CS4 suite programs, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2010 Jan 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all you BRILLIANT people! Saved my butt!
Cheers! FMCore Foobah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having this problem when I try to launch any CS2 program....but I am working on a Windows XP platform. This is something that popped up just recently. I do not use Fusion but see that it is installed as a demo only -- I have never used it and not certain why this has become an issue now. Perhaps I should just uninstall Fusion to see if it will stop the interference problem. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2010 Feb 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes uninstall it and look for any plug ins in in ay of the plug in folders after you uninstall to make certain no activate plug ins are there as well for each application, if of course you do not get the warning after uninstalling then of course is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2010 Mar 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suffered exactly the same problem.

Been running CS3 on a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with no issues at all with Suitcase Fusion. Suitcase would never quit though and had to be forced quit at each shutdown.

Then I upgraded Suitacse Fusion 2...

FM Core stopped (have tried you fix thanks)

Illustrator now will not allow any files to be saved as .AI - only .EPS

Can't copy paths from the clipboard into Photoshop - keeps reporting an error

InDesign won't allow keeps reverting to inches in the Units Preferences, despite being reset each time..

Excel and Word kept telling me fonts were corrupt and took ages to start up

I've now upgraded to Leopard and seubsequently to 10.5.8 which is as far as I can go with this Mac.

I'm worried that my files will be corrupted when I save them...

Any ideas? Anyone in the great Adobe user community? Help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I think you might need to upgrade Fusion 2 I believe they may have addressed the problem it is always a good idea to check periodically for software updates.

Forever my words were not intended to be kind or unkind they were designed to get the the poster to see that they have to step back from what they are doing and make a objective decision to either hand this over to someone else or think more about what they are doing and not let it get the best of them or they were at risk o causing themselves serious problems that might not be so easy to fix.

So if they weren't up to it then they should seek assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently, the problem is not resolved with version 2 of Suitcase Fusion.

I have a brand new Mac with the latest operating system, and Creative Suite 4 and did not have a previous font management program ever installed on this computer. Then I got Suitcase Fusion 2 and installed it and the "FM Core" alert messages.

(I did have creative suite 2 installed, because i imported everything from my old, failing laptop onto this computer. Now I can no longer use Creative Suite 2 on this one, though, and at first thought the FM core problem and that issue were related. I did not have any font management program installed on the older laptop)

Wade, you were rational and helpful and are always eager to help, and are to be commended for that.

When I read your words:

"Now when you get to work ask someone who knows a little about computers to assist you.

Ask them to show what is going on."

it struck a chord with me, who works alone, with no other tech support than manuals, forums, articles and occasional call in to manufacturer.

There are so many things to learn and keep up with, even when things work as they are supposed to, it can be a daunting task to learn how to use the software, much less to be a computer expert as well.

I'm sorry that I said anything about your remarks because you are  generous with your time and expertise, and helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM Core and Suitcase Fusion depend heavily on a correctly working volume. Over at the Extensis forums, there is a discussion regarding not being able to start the FM Core, slightly different to your issue. Most of the time, logging out or restarting your mac fixes this issue, but you might need to repair your Mac's directory to solve issues with Suitcase Fusion and Adobe Illustrator. If you have the restore disc that came with your Mac, start from that disc (holding C during a restart) and choose Utilities and Disk Utility. Once in Disk Utility, choose First Aid/Repair Disk with your hard drive selected, and it will attempt to fix any directory issues on your Mac itself. If you don't have your system disc, boot into Single User mode (holding command+s when booting) and once it loads, type in: /sbin/fsck -fy

If it doesn't fix your FMCore issue, it will at least clean up other issues on your Mac. Don't forget to check out the extensis forums in addition to Adobe, as your issue might be more related to their products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Guys - it's great to know I'm not alone and there are some experts out there willing to help.

I run many fonts and wondered if this caused my original issue with Suitcase and Tiger. Do we really need Suitcase 2 since the Mac runs Fontbook?

My concern is that something deeper is lurking as a result and will pop up when least expected...

I will have a go and sort the Mac directory issue (thanks WoodyTech).

I have to say though, that I have used the Tiger Suitcase 1 combo for the last 3 years without any real issue. The current problem only started when I upgraded to Fusion 2 that forced me to then upgrade the OS to Leopard...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we really need Suitcase 2 since the Mac runs Fontbook?

My concern is that something deeper is lurking as a result and will pop up when least expected...

my sentiments exactly. I used to use Suitcase before OSX, and loved it. I have been relying on Font Book until recently getting Suitcase Fusion 2 and I'm already regretting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2010 Mar 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Harron. This thread was at the top of my Google search for "Adobe FMCore" and voila! Solved. What would we do without people like you? THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, you quickly solved my problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurray!!!!
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to thank you for that tip. I installed a trial of Suitcase Fusion yesterday and had the same problem in Photoshop. Solved now, thanks to your advice!

Magda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2011 Sep 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first wrote to Extensis about this issue over a year ago. They seem to be aware of the problem but haven't fixed it. It can happen when I open Quark, Photoshop, InDesign etc. It's annoying but go to System Preferencs, click Suitcase Fushion Core and select 'start'. However, the next time you boot up it it can happen agin. Very annoying. Fix please Extensis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines