Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fractions in Illustrator

Enthusiast ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a command or a shortcut that would turn a numerator/denominator (1/2) into a fraction?

In Open Type fonts, if their are fractions built in, then there is no problem, but what about for fonts that are not open type or do not have fractions built into them.

I guess I am looking for some command that turns that sequence into a fraction in Illustrator.

thanks!!

babs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

File > Document setup

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No single command. Typically (though not hard and fast):

- Super/subscript size: 60% of text point size

-  Superscript position: 30% of point size baseline shift

- Subscipt position: along baseline

- Use a solidus (Opt+Shft+1)   for your slash rather than the slash key

I don't know enough about scripting to know if such exists or could be engineered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,

I appreciate the answer.

Quick question, if I want to change those values (60%, 30%), where do I do that? I looked in preferences but didn't see anywhere to change those numbers?

Thanks!!

babs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Document setup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

babs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term Solidus in this context has hitherto eluded me in all my days as a typographer. I thought it was a Roman coin or something.

Anyway on my keyboard it’s stashed away under Option+Shift+6 ( ⁄ instead of / ).

May be the same on other non-English keyboards.

Strange foreign people (like me): YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Doug!  That worked perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Top Toolbar --> Type --> Glyphs.

Highlight (not select) the text you wish to replace then double click the desired symbol/character to replace the text. Or alternately, you can select the Text tool, click into your document, then double click the desired symbol/character to place directly into the document.

If the fraction you need is not premade, in the Glyphs toolbar open the "Show" drop down menu and you can select "Numerator", enter the desired number and the slash, then change to "Denominator".

Not all fonts will have all of the same characters available. It is entirely dependent upon who made the font and if they added the specific character/symbol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines