• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Grayed Out

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing an image into a brand new illustrator document and embedding the image disables the GPU acceleration.

i.e. using the crop function disables the GPU.

I suspect there may be other ways the bug manifests itself, but the above process is the only one I can confirm.

Problem has persisted over many of the last few versions of Illustrator, I beleive for years.

It is critical that Adobe take this seriously.

Some large files we have received form our customers cannot be opened without this bug taking effect.

CPU preview is ridiculously slow, and not a valid workaround.

I have used Macs and Illustrator for 20 years, and have never seen an app with such abysmal performance as Illustrator with CPU preview.

iMacPro(2017) 2.3ghz 18core Xeon

64GB Ram

MacOS Monterey

Just updated to Illustrator 27.1.1.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to solve this, you might need to provide the files to the Adobe engineers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Illustrator - create new file

2. place JPG image in illustrator.

GPU is working

3. Use crop tool (forces image to be embedded) or embed the image through the links pallet.

4. GPU is now disabled.

Screenshots and Example file attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ridiculous....

This forum will not allow an AI file attachment.

Upload Error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example file PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the case for all users, so contact support directly:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent 15 minutes trying to find a place to submit a proper bug report from your link.

Found a formal bug submission form.

Very frustrating when the system wont accept it.

I have wasted over an hour this morning trying to simply submit a bug report. it should not be this hard.

Failed Bug Report.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link I provided is for chat support. Use it to contact an agent and get them to check your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry- Chat did not show up initially, I am in chat now.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @David27647541bq64,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope the issue is resolved now. If not, would you mind sharing the original image used for placing and case no. if you contacted the support?

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent abut 4 hours total with Adobe support on 3 separate calls, and no, the issue was never resolved.

Adobe support was able to share my sceen and see the problem, but could not offer an immediate solution.

I suspect this is a bug of some kind.

I really cannot afford to spend more hours trying to diagnose the problem.

There is nothing special about that image. The issue happens with any jpeg that is embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DaveStoddard,

We are sorry for this inconvenience. Would you mind sharing the case number with me? I will check with the support team and get the required details like device info, sample AI & JPG files if you share this info.

I will forward it to the product/ engineer to further investigate the issue.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just here to say that I've experienced the exact same issues since version 26, most of my entire work day is spent in CPU mode because as soon as my documents become somewhat complicated, Illustrator just gives up. I've literally been using Adobe products for over 20 years, and this is the first time in my career where I have to sit here and realize that every single version of Illustrator gets worse and worse. I absolutely despise that within a few minutes of working on my documents, the next time I zoom in or pan with a file with layers, it just goes straight to CPU and that's the end of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @MegaTorque-01,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind sharing the file in which this behavior is happening & your system specifications, including the GPU make & model?

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines