• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradually moving multiple anchor points / anchor point springiness

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. I am sure I am describing this wrong but how do I my anchor points smoothly / gradually?
lets say i have a decorative ornament. Like the nice line around the jack daniels bottle label. And I want to connect the very end of the ornament to something else. i wanna move a bunch of anchor points in a way that the top anchor points move the move but the bottom one stays where it needs to stay and everything in between gradually snaps into place. Does this make any sense?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

I found it. Puppet Warp tool does what i need. It was less than 10 seconds to do what I was trying to do. Never knew about this tool. First I found the warp tool and made a 5 minute video that I have already rendered and I was ready to upload then I found there is another tool called puppy tool ( weird name....) and with that I can lock certain parts of the shape and anchor points stay there and warp other parts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, based on your screenshot it is not quite obvious about what result you are looking for.

Can you show something that illustrates the initial situation as well as the desired result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanna connect the line that comes from the bottom to the loop which is the right side of it. I wanna curve the line. Right now I had to delete a bunch of anchors and have only like 4 and curve the lines between anchor points. Instead of that. I wish I could just select the anchor points on the top of the line. Move it where I want to and wonder if there is a way to have the rest of the anchor points to follow but scaled between the anchor points on the bottom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSOCSO-SCW,

That was how I understood your description. Have you tried the Shear Tool (on the original path)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the Direct Selection tool (white arrow) and choose only the points you want to move by Shift-clicking on them only those so chosen will move. As for gradual movement you can move those selected points gradually using the arrow keys. The arrow keys are set by default to move selected objects or anchor points a point at a time by default. This way you can move those selected points up, down, left and right in a controlled way. You can also change the increment that the arrow keys move in the General Section of Illustrator's preferences in the "Keyboard Increment" field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSOCSO-SCW,

As I (mis)understand it, merely moving Anchor Points as described would distort the shape in an unwanted way, probably making it strangely wavy.

There is also the question of transition between the/an upper changed part and the/a lower unchanged part, but that may be overcome.

I believe you may be able to obtain (more or less) the desired change of shape if you use the Shear Tool with a suitable reference point at the bottom, then Drag by the top (Anchor Point) as desired, see this Helpx page,

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/scaling-shearing-distorting-objects.html

Some additional work may very well be required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I don't think the sheer tool would have helped since I am moving a the very top of a big shape. Only wanna mess with the top %10 of the anchor points but puppy warp did the trick! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it. Puppet Warp tool does what i need. It was less than 10 seconds to do what I was trying to do. Never knew about this tool. First I found the warp tool and made a 5 minute video that I have already rendered and I was ready to upload then I found there is another tool called puppy tool ( weird name....) and with that I can lock certain parts of the shape and anchor points stay there and warp other parts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines