Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HALFTONE OR WHAT?

Participant ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

i'm experiencing a lot of problem trying to recreate a graphic that i saw on a t-shirt.

The graphic looks like an halftone. But i'm not able to recreate the exactly same pattern. This could be cause i'm not a master in Ai or Ps.

As you can see from the pictures the shape in grey is a kind of perfectly punctured and in a regular way. How can this be done ?

Moreover, at some point the shape in grey, became yellow, and seems to continue from the same shape, without interruptions.

Finally, the yellow side looks worn out. Someone know how can this be done?

Can you chose where to make a shape consumed whit halftone ?

I post a couple of pictures to make you better understand about what i'm talking about.

Thank a lot to anyone will try to help me !

20170924_115601.jpg

20170924_115556.jpg

20170924_115614.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Another way in Photoshop to emulate halftone screens is the use of monochrome Pattern Layers set to Blend Mode Hard Mix.

halftoneScreenPatternLayersScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's also a Halftone effects in Photoshop. Here's a tutorial about it;

https://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorials/Using-Color-Halftone-filter/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop:

Prepare a graphic (greyscale) with soft edges.

Then convert to bitmap using Halftone pattern (experiment with the settings)

You can then go on in Photoshop (using multichannel images if you want to print a t-shirt in silkscreen)

or take it over to Illustrator and trace it

Then use the generated Halftone as a clipping mask for the yellow shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Monika Gause​ Could you show me step by step?

Tku!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

matibuc4eva  schrieb

Sorry https://forums.adobe.com/people/Monika+Gause  Could you show me step by step?

Tku!

No, I'm sorry.

How to convert to different image modes is explained in the documentation

Convert between color modes in Photoshop

Then you need to know how to use a channel in order to make a selection:

Photoshop channel basics

Save selections and alpha channel masks in Adobe Photoshop

On top of that there are a gazillion tutorials available on how to do things like this in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would venture to say "or what".  The original artwork looks as though it could have been produced using a pre-printed halftone pattern and then copied ( yes, using a real copy machine and real paper ) a few times to get a grunge effect.  Then the pieces were pasted together and then photographed using a process camera similar to an Agfa vertical camera.  That was to get the film separation positives in order to make the screens ( 2; one yellow, one gray ) for silkscreen printing.  I do not think the artwork was created on the computer.  Just a hunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree this is probably an analogue effect but you could get similar results with a combination of layers and effects. Perhaps some noise added to the halftone pattern as a layer mask or composite some grunge layers with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way in Photoshop to emulate halftone screens is the use of monochrome Pattern Layers set to Blend Mode Hard Mix.

halftoneScreenPatternLayersScr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please c.pfaffenbichler​ tell me more about this method

maybe we are on the right way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By using blurred Patterns on can use the Blend Mode Hard Mix to have them reflect the underlying image’s luminance in a 2-bit fashion.

With regular patterns like lines or dots that can simulate a proper halftone screen »fairly well« while offering scalability.

But if one manually creates the screen like this one may, depending on the output needs, have to work at significantly higher resolution than for regular halftone images to be able to manually separate 1200ppi bitmap images for each (spot) color.

halftoneScreenPatternLayersScr2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines