Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with cutting a whole in an image/clipping mask

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I am needing to cut out circles in an image so that the background shows through. Sort of like an inverse clipping mask..but I don't know if those exist..  And once I cut holes in the image I am needing to put a clipping mask on the whole thing so that only part of the image is still showing with parts of the cut-outs.

Or i guess if I could figure out how to create an odd shape clipping mask that would work as well.

The image below is something like what I'm trying to accomplish just different image and different sizes and locations of the cut-outs along the edge.

Untitled-4.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

bonnierod,

If I understand it in the right way, you may:

1) Create the basic shape of the Clipping Path (the path to use for the Clipping Mask),

2) Create the cutouts on top of it,

3) Select 1) and 2) and Pathfinder>Minus Front,

4) Apply 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bonnierod,

If I understand it in the right way, you may:

1) Create the basic shape of the Clipping Path (the path to use for the Clipping Mask),

2) Create the cutouts on top of it,

3) Select 1) and 2) and Pathfinder>Minus Front,

4) Apply 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, as I was searching the forums before posting my question I saw something about the pathfinder effect. But in my version of Illustrator (CS4) I don't have the 'minus front' option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in my version of Illustrator (CS4) I don't have the 'minus front' option.

That is strange, bonnierod.

I thought it had been called that from CS or CS2.

The old name is Pathfinder>Subtract from shape area.

You could also put the cutouts behind and use Pathfinder>Minus Back; I am sure that name is unchanged.

Or try the different ones and see which one works in the right way with them in front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't select pathfinder effects, but take the pathfinder panel. That's something different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2011 Jul 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I found it! I am fairly inexperienced with Illustrator, obviously. Once I got the pathfinder panel/window I found the 'minus front' option right away. And followed Jacob's steps to success! Thanks again Monika and Jacob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome, Bonnie.

Luckily, Monika has a keen eye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why all this messing around with Pathfinder?

The only thing that Pathfinder does in this case is to make a compound which you can easily do with Cmd+8.

Follow that with Cmd+7 and you've got your mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2011 Jul 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

As far as I can see from the OP, in this case Object>Compound Path>Make (Ctrl/Cmd+8) will add the non overlapping portions of the cutout paths to the Clipping Path, instead of just biting off part of the basic path.

Apart from that, any excuse for dragging Ofelas into the picture should be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Ofelas is new to me. Looks interesting.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2011 Jul 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Looks interesting.

It is far more than that. And the Tsjuder with the scar is the spitting image of Thor in Hrafninn flýgur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not certain about the previous postings but here is how to do it.

1 place your circle on top of the image select the image and make sure the image is filed with white no stroke.

2 Go to the transparency panel and from the flyout select opacity mask make

3. make sure invert is select and clip is deselected as in the screen shot.

Screen shot 2011-07-21 at 11.00.11 PM.png

Works with linked or embedded images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonnie,

What Monika said. I always show the full path (here starting with Pathfinder).

...  here is how to do it.

I thought we all agreed that Illy is (more) versatile, at least when you ask her nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make a compound path and use it as a mask.

compmask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2017 Mar 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photoshop can be used if you are aware of all Photoshop tools and perfect in using them. If you don't have proper knowledge of tools then I would recommend to take advice from (Link removed by Moderator) as they know what is good and what is best. There are lots of online clipping path service provider. You can take help from anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines