• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide Illustrator should use standard keyboard shortcut on Mac

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe seems to be settling on Ctrl+Cmd+H to Hide applications on Mac (Photoshop, After Effects). Illustrator still has no default shortcut for this, but worse, we cannot use the Mac Ctrl key for any (?) shortcuts in Illustrator.

This doesn't make sense to the user. Muscle memory for common actions like hiding should be respected and universalized across apps.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit your keyboard shortcuts to make it Cmd H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my OP. I'd like to keep keyboard shortcuts consistent across apps within Creative Cloud. PS and AE now use Control+Command+H. The Mac Control key (not the same as the Command key / Windows Ctrl key) seems to be totally unavailable to AI shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to have ctrl to be available in the shortcuts, please post a feature request: https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<deleted>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where you got the additional Ctrl key.

All non Adobe apps use Cmd-H to hide the app and Photoshop gives you the choice:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 19.51.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And After Effects:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 20.02.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 19.07.32.png

 I just reset Photoshop and this is what I now see as the default. After Effects uses Cmd-H to Replace footage, this is from here: 

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 19.10.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After effects currently has issues with using the Mac standard Cmd-H. I believe if you click 'Hide Extras' in that window, Photoshop will then default to the Ctrl+Cmd+H I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is what I did, reset Photoshop and I clicked the Hide Extras causing Photoshop to use the standard Cmd-H for Hide Extras and the non standard Ctrl-Cmd-H to hide Photoshop. After Effects uses Cmd-H to hide the app.

Ctrl-Cmd-H is not a standard on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an Apple standard on Mac, but it appears to be the Adobe standard on Mac. Since all these apps list Cmd-H as assigned to various functions within the applications. If Adobe were adopting Apple's standards, Cmd-H would always be used to hide the Application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cmd-H is the Apple standard as used by many Adobe apps (Bridge, InDesign, After Effects, Lightroom, Acrobat). Illustrator has been using that shortcut for ages before Apple hijacked it and it was standard to use Hide Edges in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines