• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High Memory Usage for All Adobe Apps on macOS

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reoccuring issue with Adobe apps using excessive memory. I'm getting pop-up warnings. For example, AI is open but no files open (18.92GB RAM), PS has 4 files open totaling less than 100MB file size using (33.09GB RAM). PS and ID are randomingly crashing without any crash report or pop-ups.

I've reopened PS, and still using 22GB with a couple small files open.

I really don't know where to go with this, but it's getting really frustrating.

On a side note: why is this forum forcing to select a topic with only choices unrelated.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021),  Apple M1 Max, 64GB Memory.

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 5.00.12 PM.jpg

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

I've probably spent about 20 hours trying to resolve.

I've uninstalled both AI and PS and reinstalled. Both apps are now in a normal range of memory. I don't know what common attributes they had driving up their memory usage.

AI is now at 1.79GB and PS at 1.07GB. Now I need to go back and clean up after the tornado.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @markfug ,

Sorry to hear about the problem you are facing. In order to help you further we will need a few more details like:

• Exact version of OS and the Adobe apps
  • When did you start facing this problem? Have there been any recent changes made to your system (Sofware Update / Plug-Ins / Antivirus)
  • Have you tried updating your Adobe apps to the latest version?

Problems like this are usually related to disk permissions issues. I would suggest you to try and Repair Disk Permissions for macOS and share your observations with us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a similar problem with:

Macbook Pro 13 inch M1 2020, 16gb 1TB (300gb free)

Monterey 12.3

Illiustrator 26.1

As soon as I open Illustrator the Memory Pressure/RAM usage reaches near capacity. If I open even a small file I'm often getting a message saying I'm out of memory which is ridiculous. I spoke to Apple who say it's an Illustrator problem. I've attached screenshots of ram load with no files open.

Please advise asap.

Regards

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also followed your advice to run Repair Disk Permissions but it made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac is up to date.

MacOS 12.3

PS 23.2.2

AI 26.1

ID 17.1

This high memory has been happen over a multitude of changes including software updates and plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@markfug @TDunne2022 

Sorry to hear that fixing the Disk Permissions did not help in your case. I would suggest trying to disable all startup apps, then reboot in Safe Mode and share your observations with us.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are screen shots while in Safe Mode. Apps were only opened without any files open.

With 64GB of memory, this should be smooth sailing. Not constantly getting pop-ups telling me I'm running of memory.

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 10.40.58 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-03-23 at 10.44.02 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I followed your suggestions. I had only one startup app - Adobe Acrobat - I removed that and restarted in Safe mode. This made no difference to the performance - see 'Safe Mode Shot' . I restarted and removed Creative Cloud - this did make a difference in that AIRobin has been removed - see Creative Cloud Removed. AI is still using nearly 10gb with no actual files open which seems excessively high. Unfortunately now my Photoshop won't open because it can't communicate with Creative Cloud 😞 

By comparison Affinity Designer resting is using just under 1gb. 

Here's my problem - I am paying for a suite of Apps the two most important of which I can't use without blocking the use of one or the other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that the steps did not resolve the problem. Please re-install the Creative Cloud Desktop app and then create a new admin user account on your computer to check how the applications behave there.

If the problem persists, I would recommend you perform a clean install for all Adobe apps using Adobe Cleaner Tool.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would creating a new admin user account make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also how much should ram should AI be using when it is just open but no files are open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would creating a new admin user account make a difference?

By @TDunne2022

Accounts or something inside them can go corrupt.

Creating a new one is the easiest way to test if that is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much should ram should AI be using when it is just open but no files are open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going through EtreChecks. Although I already contacted Extensis about background processes, it looks like my main acct has it [Running] while the new acct says [Not Loaded]. Do you have Suitcase Fusion on your system? There's also a AdobeResourceSynchronizer process that's not on the new acct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've probably spent about 20 hours trying to resolve.

I've uninstalled both AI and PS and reinstalled. Both apps are now in a normal range of memory. I don't know what common attributes they had driving up their memory usage.

AI is now at 1.79GB and PS at 1.07GB. Now I need to go back and clean up after the tornado.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new user account, and AI is opening around 1GB mark. The Safe Boot is using 37GB. I don't know where to go from here. Neither are using startup extensions, so I don't know where to go with this.

Main User - Safe Boot Large.jpegAdobe Test User Large.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So no-one from Adobe has responded since Mar 24?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've marked with a correct answer on a resolution, so they likely don't have a need to further reply. Once I reinstalled the apps, the high memory usage stopped. It's been fine since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and so far it seems to be ok and using the memory it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines