• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I add a hyperlink in illustrator cc and export a pdf with that link? I have a CTA button that I would like to add a hyperlink to and then save as a pdf with the working hyperlink. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Hi Everyone,

Over the years, retaining hyperlinks in exported PDF files has been a top user request. With Illustrator v27.6 and newer, you can now create & preserve your hyperlinks when exporting your artwork as PDF files.

hyperlink-deeplink.png

For a comprehensive guide on how to create hyperlinks within Illustrator, I recommend checking out this in-depth YouTube tutorial:

Anshul_Saini_0-1691695222081.png

Here are the steps:

1.  Open the "Attributes" panel from the "Window" menu
  2.  Click on the Hamburger menu > Show

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Hey @Cari30360013rxh1 , you need to save the PDF with the Adobe PDF Preset called Illustrator Default - at least that's what just worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I just retyped your link adresses in Illustrator, saved as PDF and let Acrobat create the links.

That worked fine. 

Could it be something with the font you used or maybe the writing direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes maybe, I firmly believe that the font I used at the beginning caused an issue when Acrobat tried to create hyperlinks with it, however, when I changed the font to (Myriad Pro) works fine 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't able to do in Ai but I exported my Ai file as a PDF. Opened it in Acrobat, went to Edit Document and added a link. I created the invisible textbox around my icon and chose "Open a web page" for my link Action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text boxes with links are clickable in pdf, you have to scale it your button size and give 0% transparency. then export the pdf with Embed Page Thumbnails turned on. if and then only, any text with link will be clickable. 

NB: this is not a 'true hyperlink' but can be an easy fix if you want to exclude Acrobat/Indesign from your workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vishnu5CD2  schrieb:

Text boxes with links are clickable in pdf, you have to scale it your button size and give 0% transparency. then export the pdf with Embed Page Thumbnails turned on. if and then only, any text with link will be clickable. 

The current version 27..1 can create PDF links using the attributes panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Over the years, retaining hyperlinks in exported PDF files has been a top user request. With Illustrator v27.6 and newer, you can now create & preserve your hyperlinks when exporting your artwork as PDF files.

hyperlink-deeplink.png

For a comprehensive guide on how to create hyperlinks within Illustrator, I recommend checking out this in-depth YouTube tutorial:

Anshul_Saini_0-1691695222081.png

Here are the steps:

1.  Open the "Attributes" panel from the "Window" menu
  2.  Click on the Hamburger menu > Show All
    Anshul_Saini_0-1693241226836.png
  3.  Select the object you want to assign the hyperlink on
  4.  Then, in "Attributes," choose "Image Map" > Rectangle and insert your website address in the "URL" field
    Anshul_Saini_1-1693241592714.png
  5.  Save/ export the file as PDF.

Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or need assistance.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing the same but my illustrator is not preserving the link, link is not working. can ou suggest why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots of your setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Cari30360013rxh1,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with preserving links in Illustrator. To assist you better, could you please provide more details about the steps you've taken so far? Additionally, it would be helpful to know the version of Illustrator you're using and any specific error messages or issues you're encountering.

If possible, as Monika said, sharing screenshots of your setup or a screen recording of the problem could provide valuable context for troubleshooting this issue. This information will help us pinpoint the problem and provide you with a more accurate solution.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Cari30360013rxh1 , you need to save the PDF with the Adobe PDF Preset called Illustrator Default - at least that's what just worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't working for me either until I updated Illustrator. Then it was straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini what about internal links? Like jumping to a specific section using an internal hyperlink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@godlevi  schrieb:

Hi @Anshul_Saini what about internal links? Like jumping to a specific section using an internal hyperlink.

The long answer is no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work on specific text within a larger text box. If you try to hyperlink the title of a web-hosted PDF to its webpage from within a paragraph of text, for example, it hyerlinks the entire paragraph. Really not ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use Acrobat or InDesign to create that sort of links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I am amazed that such a simple and well known issue like this one has still not been deadlt with by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pdramorim  schrieb:

Wow, I am amazed that such a simple and well known issue like this one has still not been deadlt with by Adobe.

You totally want to read the post just above yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika, a significant improvement indeed. Doesn't appear to work with individual words within text boxes though. Perhaps something to consider in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your feedback, @pdramorim. I'm glad to hear that there has been some improvement regarding the issue you mentioned.

Regarding the individual words within text boxes not working with this feature, your suggestion is valuable. I recommend sharing your feedback on our UserVoice platform to address this concern. It's a place where users can submit and vote on feature requests and improvements. Here's the link to Hyperlink UserVoice: Add ability to hyperlink text.

By adding your comment there, you can gather support from other users who may have similar needs. Our product teams actively monitor UserVoice for customer feedback, and this could potentially influence future updates and improvements.

Thank you for contributing to the improvement of Adobe Illustrator, and if you have any more insights or questions, please feel free to share them.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines