• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I change starting point of a path?

Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It bothers me when I use brushes for stroke of a path/shape. Is there a feature to change the starting point of stroke in a shape/reverse direction of a path?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

You won't need to duplicate the path. Just select it and then edit the options for this object. There's a button in the brushes panel for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

You can use the Scissors Tool.

Click anywhere along your path and it will become the starting point of the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

That wasn't the initial request in 2012.

Anyway, in newer versions of Illustrator there is an Object > Path > Reverse Direction command.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Attributes panel...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not being helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lmao he even signed with his username

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird how they'd take the time to create a profile only to leave a superfluous message...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's an open path, click the starting point (not the ending point) with the pen tool. If it's a closed path, you'll have to cut it. Otherwise, duplicate the brush and reverse ("flip along") its direction and apply it to the path. Or find or write a script to do the job. Illustrator doesn't seem to want you to reverse a path, unless it's a compound path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2012 Jan 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't need to duplicate the path. Just select it and then edit the options for this object. There's a button in the brushes panel for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reversing the path is one thing, but starting the effect from a specific point is something else. If i draw a rectangle, the effect will always be applied starting the bottom right corner, clockwise. Yes, I can reverse the orientation. What about if i want the stroke to be applied starting the top left corner of the rectangle? At the moment I have to rotate it, and it works, but if you have a complex shape it is impossible without having to cut it with the scissors. 

It could be nice if we could select an anchor point, apply the stroke effect or brush, and it starts from THIS specific point...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Scissors Tool.

Click anywhere along your path and it will become the starting point of the shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wasn't the initial request in 2012.

Anyway, in newer versions of Illustrator there is an Object > Path > Reverse Direction command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. This is exactly what worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the little things! I have needed this a few times and now can easily accomplish the task in a way that makes sense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was just what I needed, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines