• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how can I export as GPU quality (not CPU)

Participant ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(I found a similar question in this forum through google but it wont let me view it, probably cause its old since 2015)

Hi all,

Im working on AI and I'm using a custom made brush that looks like a pencil.

Switching between GPU and CPU preview, the looks change. The GPU is more pixelated, and I like the end result more this way, however when I export its coming out like the CPU view version.

Is there a way I can export it and make it match the GPU looks & charateristics? I know I can take a screen shot, but that will loose the vector, size, etc

(edit) Comparison image attached

thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

MusicMaxEbb,

As every helper answering so far has said/implied, viewing artwork in GPU is sometimes misleading, and the artwork itself remains unchanged.

When you say "I wish there was an EXPORT GPU preview option,"  the crucial part is

preview,

Your desired look is what is seen on screen, and hopefully that is the key:

You can try to create a screenshot (PNG) of/including the desired GPU preview appearance and use (the relevant part of) that instead of exporting the artwork (to a(noth

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format are you exporting to? Which method and settings?

Would it be possible to show us screenshots of the CPU/GPU versions, and the exported file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm exporting to PDF high quality preset.

I can try to save a comparison and upload here if it helps

*edit*

adding screen shots as request

left side GPU, right CPU

as you can see the left side is more pixelated, and in this particular case i'm looking to emulate pencil brush strokes, which for my personal preferences gives a better result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want vector artwork to look rougher, you will need to roughen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no rasterising when you save as PDF, so effectively you're asking the PDF viewing application to emulate a peculiarity of Illustrator's rather flawed GPU preview.

You're probably better off not using GPU preview, and doing what you can to get your work looking how you want it to look using the more stable and accurate CPU preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU preview difference is a bug. It sometimes does not represent the true image. I'd suggest altering your custom brush to match the "GPU" appearance in "CPU" preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem,  and thought I could alter the brush to have hte same look as the GPU, but there's really no way.  I wish there was an EXPORT GPU preview option,  similar to options for HINTED and SUPER SAMPLE options. That would actually be a great place to put such an option.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicMaxEbb,

As every helper answering so far has said/implied, viewing artwork in GPU is sometimes misleading, and the artwork itself remains unchanged.

When you say "I wish there was an EXPORT GPU preview option,"  the crucial part is

preview,

Your desired look is what is seen on screen, and hopefully that is the key:

You can try to create a screenshot (PNG) of/including the desired GPU preview appearance and use (the relevant part of) that instead of exporting the artwork (to a(nother) raster format in any case), if it is possible to get the desired resolution/image size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could screen capture the GPU preview, but typically I need to export for high resoultion, for print.  It's frustrating to work on an illustration with nice thick textured lines, then only to discover at export that the lines are really about .5 pixel thinner and with no texture.  Here's an example: Image on the left is a screen shot of my artwork, and on the right is the export. I'm using a textured brush to make these lines, to get a vintage look. But when I export, the lines look much more mechanical and smooth.  As an illustrator, if I can't export the artwork I see, then why use this application at all?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicMaxEbb,

I can see the difference, and I believe that the randomness of the irregularities is beyond what can be obtained with other means such as the Roughen effect already mentioned.

With a rather low size and high detail you get a thicker appearance, and with multiple applications with different values you can get a certain randomness of irregularity, but hardly enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took an entire day, but I was able to make some textured brushes that gives me the effect I want on export.  I've used the roughen effect before and it is a little too modulated and tedious, and prone with errors. I like to see the roughness as I draw, not after.  Anyway, it's on my wishlist to have a GPU export option,  but until then I have to keep turning off GPU to see what I'm ultimtaly going to end up with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MusicMaxEbb,

I was certain that would be the case.

I am afraid that Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) has no clue about the GPU appearance, but if she can get one, (that part of your) the wishlist can be expressed as (a) feature request(s),

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue...

GPU preview is the "new" default view ;-/

I don't like it, it smooths out the preview offering a deceptive view of the final output, and introduces glitches in the preview.

The CPU Preview delivers a more realistic view of the final output and *I* prefer it. I want to see warts and all, not an idealized version.

Is there a way to make CPU Preview the preferred preview mode?

Rather a pain to keep switching it everytime I open a file!

Sure I can disable the GPU, but I'd like to keep it working on whatever it is doing to speed things up in the background, just give me CPU Preview...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines