Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add em/en spaces in text?

Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a quick reference guide that will be screen printed onto a metal panel and would like to use either an em or en space at a few points within the text.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to accomplish this in AI CS4.  Any advice or at least an alternative if this isn't an option?

Thanks,

Mel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

um: select the space. copy: then / edit / find and replace: paste in find and click on the (blue arrow icon) inserts special character icon, select EM space, click ok.  you can then copy the EM space and paste where you like...

dont know why Illy hasnt got a "right click insert white space" feature yet

G

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type a space instead and then scale it horizontally. You can save a character style for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

um: select the space. copy: then / edit / find and replace: paste in find and click on the (blue arrow icon) inserts special character icon, select EM space, click ok.  you can then copy the EM space and paste where you like...

dont know why Illy hasnt got a "right click insert white space" feature yet

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Grant!  This worked perfectly.  It sure is a bummer that the only way you can insert white space is through find/replace.  It would be nice if "Insert White Space" was an option in the Type menu similar to InDesign.  Is it possible that this is a feature in CS5 or CS5.5?

Mel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pleasure,

Is it possible that this is a feature in CS5 or CS5.5?

Nope: not that I've found...

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more method you may find useful is to set and en or em dash, and set the color to none to make that a en/em space

Picture 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is late in the game, but since this issue had plagued me for years, I figured a way to solve this with the assitance of a helpful piece of software (on the Mac): TextExpander. You also have free alternatives, but this one has been a real life (and time) saver for me.

Solution:

1. Go to any software where you can insert these special spaces (EM, EN, Thin, etc. I used InDesign to do so, since it is so straightforward there), then select the resulting space you inserted, copy it (to have it in your clipboard memory), and switch to TextExpander (or any text expansion software you like);
  2. In TextExpander, create a new "snippet" from the command "Create Snippet from Clipboard...", assign a keyboard shortcut (I assign "mms" for EM space, "nns" for EN space, and so on);
  3. Now, back in Illustrator — when you need that evasive special space, just type the appropriate keyboard shortcut you gave in TextExpander and BAM! Here it comes  🙂

Hope this will be helpful !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines