• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change the default font in Illustrator CC?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the default font in Illustrator CC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Screen shot 2013-08-28 at 1.49.49 PM.png

You double-clicked on the Normal Character Style to open it and then went to the Basic Character Formats line in the box on the left, made the changes you wanted and then said OK. You then Saved the file (actually doing a SaveAs to overwrite the original). Have you tried  restarting AI after doing the above and then trying your revised custom document profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately changing your default new document profile is very difficult (a mess).

There are 2 places where these profiles are located.

One is inside the Illustrator application folder > Support Files > New Document Profiles > a folder with the name of your language.

You cannot save a file in that folder from Illustrator.

You have to save it in a different place and move it to that folder.

But you need an Admin password to do that.

If you get it into that folder you will find that it only works for new documents saved with a different name than Print or Web, Print2 works but saved as Print  does not change the default Print profile.

To get a default profile to change you need to save your modified profile into:

User > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator 23 (or your version number) > en_GB (or your language folder) > new document profiles

You will probably have to enter your Admin password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's good news and works just fine, thanks a ton, Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed all the permissions for the folders, which takes a lot of time. Then I saved the files with a one after them, then deleted the original files, and changed their names back. However, this method didn't stick, meaning I need to change the default manually in the character default document window. Since I know where this is, it is easier to do than changing it all the time, but still frustrating. I am also frustrated that in using Illustrator 2019, one cannot do this in a preference box. This whole experience of using Illustrator 2019 has been a mess, since switching over from CS6. I know I had to do it because of system software issues with the Mac OS, but the lack of documentation has been quite embarassing to say the least. I don't know how you can charge a monthly fee, but only give videos for documentation. Who has the time to devote to watching videos when you are trying to complete projects? This is madness...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it is year later, I am using the 2020 version now, and it still is a mess for default documents. I was hoping that instead of new features for illustrator that they would fix the myriad of simple annoyances that have plagued this app in recent years, but I guess that is just a pipe dream. During lockdown, I was playing around will an older mac I had, pre system 10, and it had the ability to change the default system font!! Amazing that illustrator 5(1993) had the capability to do something so simple which we cannot do now! We have not added anything new, just added 100 more steps to doing the same thing which is a very sad to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that I can update the default font by changing the character style in each new document. Easy. AI 27 does not have new document preferences in the Library folder, so is it possible to change the default font universally, or do I still have to do it locally for each new AI document opened? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your library folder may be hidden. Google : Library folder Mac

and change the Print or other preset from User > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe Illustrator 23 (or your version number) > en_GB (or your language folder) > new document profiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay, worked perfectly! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's supported.

By @anthonyc78776180

Do you have that same problem? What is not working for you. Please elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer, but it took forever to find it. This works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jaOzqEvfQ

"Illustrator CC: Change Default Font - How to do it to work 100% of the time" by Helen Bradley. So I guess it is supported, my bad.

Illustrator CC - Change Default Font - How to do it to work 100% of the time Learn how to change the default font in Illustrator so, whether you create a Print, Web or other type of document your chosen default font will be automatically set for that type of file. This isn't a really easy thing to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watch this video and it explains it much more easily. https://youtu.be/iu3yWk0azkk

How to change default font - Adobe Illustrator Learn Adobe Graphic Design Courses Online Tips to Take your Adobe Illustrator Designs to the Next Level Adobe Illustrator is one of the most powerful and widely used design software, used to create everything from logos to illustrations and more ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That changes only the default character style for that document only. That does not answer the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines