• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a bleed for an irregular shaped vector?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make stickers. I have created a few images (vectors), added cutlines but i have no idea how to add a bleed to the outer edge of the image to prevent "white space" when the printer cuts it out.

I am using CS2 and i am a noobie.

Please can someone point me in the right direction so i can send these images to the printer.

Thanks

Deb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2010 Nov 10, 2010

You could use Object > path > Offset path

If you need trapping of different colors, see the menu in the pathfinder-palette. But you should talk to the printing people about trapping before you apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use Object > path > Offset path

If you need trapping of different colors, see the menu in the pathfinder-palette. But you should talk to the printing people about trapping before you apply it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks i will try your suggestion.

My images are definitely different colours, for example a little girl with brown hair and a pink dress that needs to be cut out (or die cut) by the printer. Just out of interest what do you mean by "trapping"? I really am new to this. Sorry to be a pain.

Deb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deb,

Just out of interest what do you mean by "trapping"?

Either this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_trapping

or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapping_%28martial_arts%29

or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_%28printing%29

The concept is also mentioned in the Helpfile.

... for example a little girl with brown hair and a pink dress that needs to be cut out (or die cut) ...

And you really want to create a bleed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jacob

Thanks for the information, the first 2 were most interesting.

I am going to be printing the image on white vinyl, and i don't really want there to be white edges if the printer's cutter is a little bit out. I was thinking it best to have a bleed around the outside to cover up any cutting errors.

I would have thought that it was a normal thing to do, but i was obviously wrong. Not much info out there on how to do it using Illustrator.

Deb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that printers use all three trapping methods suggested by Jacob, but in your case you need not worry about this, your printer will trap your vector art, if needed. One easy way to add bleed to to vector art with a cutline (AKA dieline) is to put the cutline on its own layer, then stroke the art so it extends past the cut line about .125"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great solution Luke simple and to the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke

I have actually done that already, i have a separate layer with the die lines which is basically the outline of the drawing. In some cases, where there is a shape in one colour i have put a stroke around it, about 2pts. (When you say "stroke the art" i assume you mean just put a stroke around).

The problem i am having is with images that are more intricate. For example if i put a stroke around my little girls hair, the stroke won't just be on the outside edge of the shape.

Not sure i am making any sense, i just don't really know all the right terminology.

Sorry, appreciating your help.

Deb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is most certainly a "normal thing to do" and from the sound of your description of the project, you definitely need to do it.

Creating bleeds for die cut (or plotter cutting) is, in principle, the same thing as building bleeds for rectangular trims: your artwork has to extend beyond the cut by an amount greater than the accuracy variance in the cutting.

Just as you would build bleed for each differently-colored object that contacts an ordinary stright trim, you do the same for  each differently-colored object that contacts the die-cut or knife cut. The most expedient way to "extend" an object for a bleed depends on the object. It may be simplest to do it using an offset path command. (I usually don't; offset path offsets all the way around the whole path; it has no idea which parts of a path are on the page and which parts contact the trim.) It may be simplest to just move a few anchorpoints.

I don't know why anyone is complicating a question about basic bleeds with the issue of trapping. Trapping is a separate issue, and may not even apply, depending on how the item will be printed, which you have not stated. You say the artwork will be printed on white vinyl. Nowadays, that typically means it will be printed by a composite color device (vinyl printer/plotter), not by an offset printing press or silkscreen. Trapping is only a problem when component colors are separated and printed by individual "hits" on the printing device.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jet, i was really hoping there would be an automatic way of doing the outline only . I have about 100 vectors to go through, but obviously i will just have to look at each one individually and see what the best way to do it. Moving anchor points or using offset path.

Thanks all.

Deb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One work-around that might work for you is to duplicate the layer with your vector art, select all, then use offset path (as Monica first suggested). Send this layer to the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I would suggest too.  You could also add the stroke to this layer.  By sending it to the back you wouldn't see that the stroke has been added to the inside as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the info, using 3 layers now. One for the artwork, one for the cutlines and the last for the bleed.

I really, really appreciate all your help.

Deb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer Monika! Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Monika is correct in using Object > Path > Offset Path to achieve a nice even bleed of the background colour. Sometimes doing this to complex shapes will result in a bunch of overlapping lines, which you can use the Unite button on the Pathfinder pallet to clean up. If there are multiple vector shapes of different colours touching the cut line, you may need to use the white arrow tool to drag them over the cut line as well. Here's a link to an article about adding bleed to die cut images in Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign.

[Self promoting link removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines